Menu Bar Icon on 1Password 8

Options

Is it me or is the Menu Bar icon in 8 a step backwards from the functionality in 7? I jumped back to 7 to compared the two so excuse me as I work from memory:

On 7, I can click the lock in the Menu Bar, authenticate (password or Touch ID) and then I can search from there. Also, once unlocked, my browser extensions also remain unlocked (which I still think is neat...even more so that it looks like the behavior is the same on Windows).

On 8, the lock icon just allows me to launch the full app or to perform a search. Once I launch the full app, I think I recall hitting the Touch ID and nothing happened. I'm guessing I have to click the fingerprint icon first and THEN press Touch ID. If so, I may as well just peck out my vault password for as long as opening an app, clicking a button, and then authenticating will take me in time and movement.

I only briefly tried the search feature but I'm not sure what the point is. With the way it seemed to search/expose information, I may as well just launch the full app.

In short, it seems like what I used to be able to easily do before (click lock, fingerprint, search and go) is no longer doable and I'll either need to launch the full app each time or launch Safari and use the browser extension.

PS: Apologies in advance if I'm just restating things others have already said. 1Password is probably THE app that I heard talked about forever on Mac podcasts that, when I went out and bought it, I thought...Oh shoot this is useful and have been a lover of it since then. It has all my passwords, 2FA, separate vaults for work, etc. I also love that it works on every platform that I need to use. It's just frustrating that it seems like the functionality has gone a step backwards on macOS.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• Thank you so much for your feedback, @Mettazoan! It is really helpful.

On 8, the lock icon just allows me to launch the full app or to perform a search. Once I launch the full app, I think I recall hitting the Touch ID and nothing happened. I'm guessing I have to click the fingerprint icon first and THEN press Touch ID.

When 1Password main window becomes active we have a choice of triggering the Touch ID prompt or not doing so. When the Touch ID prompt is trigger the control goes to the operating system and macOS shows the modal prompt. Because of that, we try to be careful to not trigger the prompt any time the window becomes active. For example, you would want to hide the window on top of locked 1Password and then suddenly it becomes active and shows the modal prompt. However, in this case, the 1Password is activated explicitly and it seems like a good idea to start Touch ID. I will let our dev team know about this.

only briefly tried the search feature but I'm not sure what the point is. With the way it seemed to search/expose information, I may as well just launch the full app.

We just recently added this feature to the build and I felt the same way in the beginning. At the same time, today I needed the password for my SSH Key when I was in Terminal. I pressed ⌘⇧Space, typed id_ed, then ⌘⇧C, ⌘V and my key was unlocked. It might be just a couple of seconds faster but it felt pretty good.

Another example, is quickly opening an item like a Driver License or Credit Card is a separate window when you do not want to cover the entire screen: ⌘⇧Space, find item, ⌘O (seems like ⌘O shortcut is broken at the moment 😕).

This discussion has been closed.