Local backups in 1Password 8

benfdc
benfdc
Community Member

I’m wondering how (if?) I will be able to make a local backup of my data if local vault support disappears in 1Password 8.

Your thoughts?

It’s been years since we’ve discussed here in the forums the problem of data loss in 1P/Fam due to malicious or accidental deletion of an account but the concern has not gone away!

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

For the record, the most recent discussion of the backup issue that I was involved in is at

https://1password.community/discussion/114953/do-i-need-to-create-my-own-backup-of-my-vaults-1password-com

It was around a year ago, and @Ben said at the time that y'all were still aware of the issue but hadn't reached a decision on what if anything to do about it. I hope you’ve come up with a good solution.

—Other Ben

• Hey Ben!

Good to chat again. Thanks for keeping us on our toes and honest about this. As a starting point, we'll be offering encrypted exports (.1pex files) that 1Password 8 will be able to read and write. Those aren't automated though, and so I think we'd still like to find a more robust solution for "backups," but I still feel it is a win worth mentioning. :)

Ben

P.S.

if local vault support disappears in 1Password 8.

Info about this is here.

ref: privacy/security-steering-committee#9

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@Ben

Thanks for writing back! .1pex, which sounds like a safe variant of .1PIF as well as somewhat reminiscent of the old "export to HTML" functionality, definitely counts as a win, caveats notwithstanding. While not ideal from a UX standpoint, I'm wondering whether there is a way to use Automator or a script or daemon of some sort to create backups on a scheduled basis. 1Password does have a CLI, yes?

P.S. The post at your link frankly rankles given the decision to partially break local vaults in 1Password 7.8 for iOS and iPadOS. But that's a discussion for another thread.

• FFF
    FFF
    Community Member

This is my main concern about 1P8, honestly, likely a deal breaker :( it was a good journey though, from version 2 to version 7.

• @FFF There is no obligation to upgrade from v7 to v8 on day one, and we'll continue adding features to v8 throughout its lifespan. Automatic encrypted backups (and associated restore) is one of the things I'm advocating that we build. 🤞 I'll be happy to add your voice to that request.

Ben

ref: IDEA-I-138

This discussion has been closed.