Where are the features?

Options

It took me less that 3 minutes after installing the beta version to have a worse experience than 1P7. The ⌘+\ shortcut is gone, which I used almost every time I needed to call up 1password. Now I have to waste time digging into my toolbar and clicking for it. I don't keep most of my toolbar apps exposed because most toolbar icons look like crap, and 1password isn't an exception.
It really feels like the 1P8 team has never used 1P7, and didn't bother asking anyone who did what they liked about it. Instead they just copied the VASTLY inferior web version and said "here you go, less features and worse performance is the norm now."

Seriously, don't launch this. Scrap 8 entirely. I'll stay on 7 and wait for a SwiftUI version. I don't mind my apps missing some features on some platforms if it means being optimized for the platform they're running on.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• RobSjaras
    RobSjaras
    Community Member
    Options

I am also really missing this feature, I use ⌘+\ all the time. Now it doesn't work, but I noticed a new shortcut ⌘ + Shift + \, which opens 1Password.. Only problem is that it overlaps with a Safari shortcut I use all the time, tab overview.

• wunthyll
    wunthyll
    Community Member
    Options

Well that's at least better than no shortcuts at all. Now I've noticed that the safari extension and the "app" don't apparently share unlock state. This is just a worse experience overall. Please, Please just stop this roll out. Take the L because 1P8 so far is just garbage.

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member
    Options

If AB had surveyed their users in advance of the decision to switch to Electron it would have been an overwhelming no. 1Password as we know it is dead, long live version 7.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

From Michael Fey's blog post, it is clear that it was necessary, for commercial reasons and probably also for technical ones, to use Electron on the front-end for the Mac version.

SwiftUI is probably the future, but it is not suitable fo older versions of MacOS. So it almost certainly makes sense to use Electron at present. But hopefully AgileBits can be persuaded to continue development on a SwiftUI version for the Mac, with a long-term intention to make it the only version and a short-term intention to have an Electron version available for everyone.

Of course, the Electron version is very rough at present, but after all this isn't technically even a beta version as yet.

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

We certainly need a more detailed post with screenshots and walkthough. We were hoping to make it available for the official release but it is obvious that we should have done it before the Early Access was announced.

Our lead developer posted a few of his favourite features on Twitter:

Here is a quick list off the top of my head. I am sure I will miss a few but we will try to collect more of them and publish a detailed post at some point:

Sign-in and Lock screen

• New lock screen that works better with multiple 1Password accounts and allows unlocking of individual accounts separately if needed.
    • Simpler sign into 1Password account, more signing options that are important when setting up a new computer.

Main window

• Full keyboard navigation in the main window
    • Can adjust the size of the font and other elements with ⌘+ and ⌘- keyboard shortcuts
    • Simpler Preferences window (that might actually get expanded based on the feedback, like customizable keyboard shortcuts, etc)

Sidebar

• Simplified sidebar to avoid the confusion we have in 1Password 7 with its "dual-state" sidebar
    • Moved Categories to be above the Item List to avoid sidebar being overloaded
    • New Vault collections feature makes it easier to organize vaults for advanced users (a better solution to the All Vaults feature)
    • Sidebar now clearly shows private and shared vaults.

New Watchtower

• Rebuilt from scratch to show the overall view of your current security state.

New Search

• Intelligently show the top matching items instead of a simple text matching that was done before
    • Can search and select vaults, tags, etc.
    • Additional features are still in development

Item List

• Greatly improved scroll performance compared to 1Password 7 (that was bugging me a lot, personally).
    • The icons used in the item list view and now fully encrypted when being cached on disk.

Item Details

• New item detail view that makes it easy to see the location of the item (Account, Vault)
    • Now it is easy to see with who the current item is being shared.
    • We made it clear who will have access to the item when it is being moved to a different vault.

Item Editing

• Huge usability improvements compared to 1Password 7.
    • Multiple file attachments can now be added to any item. For example, a Driver License can have a photo of the license card attached to it, etc.
    • Items with file attachments can now be moved between vaults.
    • New "Security Questions" section that makes it super-easy to create answers for websites that still require security questions.
    • Tag autocompletion.
    • Special handling of the scenario where 1Password becomes locked in the middle of the editing session.

Quick Access

• A new approach to the mini that does not try replace the main 1Password window but give advanced users the fastest access to their data without switching to the app.
    • Extremely keyboard-friendly.
    • Still in development, expect changes there.

Other features

• New browser integration that is now fully based on native messaging and supports shared lock state between all browsers and the main app.
    • New update system that automatically downloads and installs the build based on your computer architecture (M1 vs Intel).
    • New export feature to perform full local encrypted data backups if needed.
    • Fully sandboxed and notarized (we obviously had this in 1Password 7 but I wanted to point it out).

Internal things that you will not see:

• Rework of the encryption to avoid using older OpenSSL libraries.
    • Encryption uses the well-regarded open-source Ring library.
    • The account password you type during the unlock is removed from memory as soon as the initial generation of the MUK is completed.
    • A lot of work went into making sure there is no decrypted data floating in memory when the app is locked.
    • The front-end does not get the decrypted password until it really has to show it to the user.
    • Better validation of input data (to prevent malicious encrypted payloads that could be a potential vector of attack in large teams)
    • Reworked logging system to prevent any chance that the customer data could be logged to disk.
    • Multiple external security audits.
    • Multiple usability tests with both old-time 1Password users and people who never used a password manager.

Again, I probably missed some things but it is Sunday and I need to see my family.

We all know that 1Password 8 still needs work and I wanted to say that we appreciate all the feedback you gave us this week. There were some words said that got our entire team a bit rattled and frustrated but we understand that this is because you all care so much about 1Password ❤️

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem :

"There were some words said that got our entire team a bit rattled and frustrated but we understand that this is because you all care so much about 1Password ❤️"

<
    Well, nice that you understand that your team got rattles and frustrated.
    You know what? Many users are frustrated and "rattled" because they see that 1Pwd with v8 got a huge "downgrade". And there is no chance that you will change the direction ...

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

SwiftUI is probably the future, but it is not suitable fo older versions of MacOS.

In several responses on this forum AgileBits employees blame Safari 14 for 1Password 8's bad performance.

Doesn't this mean that the Electron version is also not suitable for older versions (and in fact, the current version) of macOS?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No, not really. SwiftUI can't be used at all on old versions of MacOS, it simply does not work. Whereas Electron does work, though the current implementation of 1PW8 is unsatisfactory in many ways.

• wunthyll
    wunthyll
    Community Member
    Options

Well people running 10 year old machines can stay on 7. Most macs out there today can hit a version of MacOS that supports SwiftUI.

The new lock screen that’s better for multiple users is useless for a majority of users. Most computers today are single user.

The “simpler” preferences isn’t simpler. It just doesn’t do as much, read not enough. All of the rest of the changes could be done within the framework of 1P7.

Also the new watchtower is annoying and frustrating because it obfuscates data behind another click.

The dev team should be rattled and disappointed, and they should take that feeling right to whoever made the decision to make 1P8 a downgrade in nearly every regard to the end user and tell them to stop this or we quit.

The fact that you’re giving us this half baked, overall worse experience and saying “this is the future!” Is frankly insulting to the user base. Forward that up to the project manager and ceo.

• wunthyll
    wunthyll
    Community Member
    Options

And let me just state that while electron is a bad choice for performance and OS integrations, it’s not the problem at large. The fact is you’re giving us an underperforming app with LESS features and calling it an upgrade. That’s like saying we’re gonna give you the platinum trim on this Ford F-150, but we’re not gonna give you a radio and the engine is from a Prius.

• The new lock screen that’s better for multiple users is useless for a majority of users. Most computers today are single user.

I am sorry, I didn't describe it well. The lock screen makes it easier for single user with multiple 1Password accounts. Since 1Password Business provides free family accounts to all employees, we have many users with both personal Family accounts and Business accounts in the same app:

Here is the screenshot of my lock screen that shows 3 accounts:

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

The fact that you’re giving us this half baked, overall worse experience and saying “this is the future!” Is frankly insulting to the user base. Forward that up to the project manager and ceo.

I am the founder of the company. Trust me, your message is reaching the very top.

What you see today is not the official release of 1Password. It is something that we are improving based on your feedback and you should see the new build published this week with quite a few improvements.

Every new major 1Password release had its own share of challenges and missing features. It is not magic that suddenly made them "perfect", just the day in, day-out work and attention to feedback.

Here is how our bug tracker looks this morning, a lot of work remaining:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Is that "Open 3,299" just for 1Password 8 for macOS or for all your software products?

• Ben
    Options

@XIII

That would be for all of 1Password 8, including the browser extensions. It does not include 1Password 7.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Wow... A lot of open items... I think it will take some time to work on all these open tickets. Good luck! :)

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

@DenalB Thank you! It would be easier if we'd stop creating the new issues every day 😂

This is software though, the work never ends. Here is the bug tracker for 1Password 7, for comparison:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem
    I think you are one of the people who are allowed / able to stop it. :chuffed:

BUT... With all the critical feedback, I have to thank you all! It's not easy these days for you and your team. I just installed the latest nightly build back from v7 and have to say that a lot happened between today and the first release of the EA for Windows. You all are doing a great job! Keep the good work, and thank you for answering here in the community and taking the feedback with you! :love:

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you, @DenalB! People really care and we had great feedback. It was humbling to see 1Password trending on Twitter after releasing the very first public build.

Speaking of the build, we have a brand new update available today with quite a few improvements:

https://releases.1password.com/mac/early-access/#1password-for-mac-8.2.0-56

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Speaking of the build, we have a brand new update available today with quite a few improvements:
    https://releases.1password.com/mac/early-access/#1password-for-mac-8.2.0-56

Already saw it. I'm using 1Password for Windows 8.2.0-57.NIGHTLY. Hopefully all improvements are in there, too? ;)

• Ben
    Options

Living on the bleeding edge of the bleeding edge. 😁 Yes, the nightly has those changes too.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear! Thanks to all of you! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thank you for being so open about these numbers.

They are surprising to me: how can you have (almost) twice as many total issues on v8 ("out" for days) as on v7 (out for years)?

• Blake
    Options

@XIII

What you are seeing in that screenshot there is only Mac/iOS repository for 1Password 7, and what you're not seeing is the Windows and Android repositories.

If you were to combine all of the issues that made up 1Password 7 (across all platforms) it would certainly equal out to the same amount of issues shown in the 1Password 8 repository, if not more, since now all of platforms are able to move forward, together.

This discussion has been closed.