Drag and Drop a document to attach it to an item.

Options

Crazy a lot of work to attach a document that already is inside 1Password to an item. I should be able to somehow go to the items list, find the document, attach it by drag and drop.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

So really, are documents a dead deal in 1Password 8? I tried to attach a screen shot. 1Password doesn't create a document anymore, and all I can do is download the attachment. I really just want to attach files to items and be able to see them in 1Password. Done.

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed- dragging and dropping files into 1Password from the Finder (and other apps that know about standard Cocoa drag-and-drop) is a really helpful and important feature.

And, of course, this is a great example of the sort of feature that is tricky to implement in a platform-standard way using Electron... just sayin'...

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

Well, documents are useless with how they are implemented in 1Password 8. Sad.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I always found documents in 1Password an inferior workaround to attach files (pdf, image) to any data record. If I have a scan of my driver license, I want to insert this pdf directly into my driver license entry. Not create a document entry in addition to the driver license entry, then link both. This becomes even worse, if I need to attach multiple files (for example 2 image files: back and front image from some document), since documents allow only a single attach.
    This is cumbersome and a nightmare to keep up to date, so I just didn't even start to attach files to documents. I kept them in the file system.

Now with v8, I'm able to attach as much files as I want directly to any entry, so this document kludge isn't required any more. This is the single best new feature of v8 and the one thing that really makes me want to use v8 instead of v7.

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

But you can't view the documents to know what they are and what they show, so what good is it?

• limekiln
    limekiln
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. Unless there is some new method in Rev 8 Im not aware of, not being able to view the attached documents (only download them) renders a large portion of my uses in Rev 8 beyond useless....

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

How do I revert back to version 7? I can't use v.8 with documents as they are. V.7 isn't much better with how it manages documents, but at least I can view them inside 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Mr. K.:

How do I revert back to version 7?

You can download version 7 again from our website and install it. You can then remove version 8 for the moment if you prefer by dragging it to the Trash (on a Mac), or uninstalling it (on Windows).

And thank you for all the feedback on Documents! Drag and dropping Documents is already implemented, but not yet inside a specific item, which is what I think you are suggesting. I agree that this would be a very nice feature :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#8615

• Mr. K.
    Mr. K.
    Community Member
    Options

Done. The installation of version 7 deleted my version 8. That's fine. I sure hope you folks improve documents handling in v.8.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mr. K.:

Done. The installation of version 7 deleted my version 8. That's fine.

Thank you for the update :+1:

Our developers have a few ideas open on how to improve document management, so I can tell you that this is definitely on their radar.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member
    Options

Our developers have a few ideas open on how to improve document management,

I'm glad to hear that @ag_ana. I keep my driver's license and my family members' insurance cards scanned into 1P. Version 7 made it a bit more cumbersome than earlier versions with the separate entries for the scans, and v8 is even less user-friendly.

As an example, my use case is that I have the entry in 1P where I can pull up all the info on the card, but then have the scans attached so that I can show them at check-in at UC or ER, or email/SMS the scans to them if they need to enter scans in the EHR.

• Thanks for sharing this about your use case, @rapallred. Our developers will be keeping this kind of thing in mind going forward!

• limekiln
    limekiln
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Have read this thread and am super confused with how attachments which are images (ie.jpg) are handled. Running 1Password for Mac 8.2.2
    80202057, on BETA channel, under MacOS Big Sur V 11.6..

In the past versions, I would have, for example, a Social Security Number record and attach as a related file an actual picture image of the card (.jpg file). I used to just click on the related file and the image would show.

Now, I have to click on file, to 'View', download it, and reveal it in a finder window by again clicking on the proper filename. Either I am doing something wrong now, or this is the most cumbersome MAC app now.

This does not occur under IOS. Works as I feel it should. I do have to download it, but image shows immediately.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to what I am doing. I use images for attachments for all my credit cards, important id cards etc.

Long long time user.....

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.