1password8 disabled export in csv [Not Implemented Yet]

Options
sameerchavan
sameerchavan
Community Member

After seeing this horrible future for 1password8 and the way it's being developed, I wanted to try alternatives. I realised the export function is missing csv format and some new .1pux format is implemented that exports all your vaults at the same time. There are no options. Is the direction to prevent users from leaving and creating this purposeful difficulty?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac big sur

Comments

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

Yikes! I agree, @sameerchavan, 1P needs to bring back the CSV export. Those who may use it can take responsibility for securing it, but really that was my single saving grace in ability to move away if desired.

Particularly, I am sure that export as implemented in 1P 7 works to import to iCloud Keychain using the new importer that'll have in macOS 12. To be honest, if 1P 8 and up ever completely annoys me, the next thing I'd try is iCloud Keychain. Honestly, it is the only other password manager whose storage and security model I fully trust (I've read a lot about both 1P and Apple security in their white paper docs).

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We are looking to support additional export formats, including CSV. From my reading it sounds like the app actually supports writing out these formats, and it is just the UI work that needs to be completed. We want people to use 1Password because they want to, not because they feel locked in.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#8989

• Ben
    Options

To add: it should be possible using our CLI to script whatever sort of export you'd like, if you're up for that. :+1:

Ben

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, yeah I figured that part about the op CLI tool. I could definitely achieve that as a developer, and even already have the 1P CLI on my Mac. But most users would likely not be able to. Most users may be kinda scared of the command line. So I'm happy to see that an export in the main app to CSV is likely to happen.

I also want to clarify, I really hope that 1P stays bearable and nice to use. I honestly do. I use numerous shared vaults, and at least 1/3 of what is in 1P are not usernames/passwords/2FA tokens, so don't transfer well to at least iCloud Keychain. I've used 1P for over 10 years. But I want to know that moving would be possible should the need arise.

• Ben
    Options

For sure. My comment about the CLI was mostly intended to address any concerns that might exist about export formats we are not planning to add to the app. For example if someone wanted to create an export that could be imported as cleanly as possible into a particular competitor's app... that would in theory be possible with the CLI.

Thanks again for the feedback here.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for returning the option for .csv export format, and also for all vaults/all items/selected items. In my case not for moving away from 1P, but a nice-to-have.

• Blake
    Options

This one is certainly on our teams radar @jonnyo!

Thanks for sharing your feedback here! 🤗

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Do you plan to allow CSV export from 1password 8 ?
    If yes, before final release ?

thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes @cyayon, we do plan to allow CSV export as soon as possible :+1:

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, any ETA for this ? next BETA ?

• Ben
    Options

We don't often talk in terms of ETAs. It looks like this blog post from June is the closest we've come to giving any sort of timeframe:

https://blog.1password.com/wwdc21/

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more specific than that.

Ben

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I don't speak about import, but EXPORT.
    1password 8 contain lot of changes, some good and some ugly... If i subscribe, i want to be SURE that i can export my vaults and try another alternative... I don't want to be a prisoner of a product.
    Export function is essential of ONLINE/SAAS vault solution. Without real export, 1password could not be a solution for me.

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

for others, 1pux file is a zip file which contain a export.data file.
    export.data is a json format file which contain vault items.

It seems that the CSV export feature request is claimed since about 6 months ago for the Linux client....

• Ben
    Options

@cyayon

Hello, I don't speak about import, but EXPORT.

I understand. :) From the screenshot I posted above:

"we are committed to adding the same [CSV] export capability for Logins to 1Password over the next year" (posted in June of '21).

And yes, indeed, 1pux will be a more robust unencrypted export than what we'll be able to offer with CSV. We'll have export/import capabilities for that, as well as 1pex files — which will be encrypted.

Ben

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarification, but next year is very long…
    Don’t you think it could be a brake to adopt / move / subscribe to 1password with the new version 8 ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am sure our developers will do our best to get this implemented as soon as possible @cyayon :+1:

This discussion has been closed.