macOS Interaction With Spaces Is Broken

Installed the early release version 8 for macOS.
Aside from the shortcut change (why? muscle memory after all these years....) my biggest issue is the interaction with spaces.

It has changed from version 7 and is totally unusable.
Open quick access in a space, any space it doesn't matter. Escape out of it.
Move to a different desktop / full screen app and hit the shortcut again - it physically jumps to the first space you opened it on.
Use the menu bar item to open quick access, again jumps to the screen originally opened on.

In version 7 the quick access window appears in whichever space / app you run the shortcut on. I even tried it on another machine to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering.

Please can this be fixed.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.5.2 (20G95)

Comments

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

Wow @AdieB. That is a real bummer of a bug. I hadn't even tested that myself, as I assumed it just worked. But then again, as just another user like you, I'm really just finding out what is broken as I go along, and also see comments like yours.

@roustem (one of the 1P founders, @AdieB), this is a thing I hadn't yet noticed in the alpha release that is your team's early access. This definitely needs to get fixed. I generally count on Mini-now Quick Access being smart about opening on whichever space my mouse is focused in. Further, that is the assumed behavior on macOS. Really, the large number of broken system-assumed behaviors even at this early stage of 1P 8 is quite worrisome. Even as what you call "early access", label "beta" in the app, but is truly more like an "alpha" release, I would have hoped that the developers would have at least ensured decent OS citizenship before any release. Since I've heard in other threads that the Windows early access barely changed behavior-wise (just "bug fixes") before general release, I seriously hope that the macOS early access sees significant improvements.

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member

I've been hitting this wall, too. Both Quick Access and the app itself jar me out of whatever Space I am in.

• hansenc
    hansenc
    Community Member

Been trying to give the new 1Password 8 version a shot and overall its not terrible and I am sure over the beta cycle it will only get better from here. One thing thats really getting to me though is how Quick Access works yet doesn't work.

As someone who uses multiple desktops I cannot figure out how the Quick Access picks what desktop to open on. When it does pick a desktop and I happen to not be on it I will be switched to it and the Quick Access will flash open and then flash closed.

Missing when it used to just drop down from the menu bar.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
    Extension Version: 2.0.5
    OS Version: macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

I’ve reported this and was staggered by the lack of response from anyone at 1Password.
    It seems to depend on which desktop you opened the app on first.
    Not only that but when it reverts to the desktop that quack access shows on it looses focus.

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

And yet this pretty major bug hasn’t even been acknowledged.
    But hey we got vaults in the side bar, right?

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member

I hope this one is on the short list of bug fixes. This is a pretty big pain point getting in the way of using the app to provide other feedback.

I will say, though, that contrary to other users, I LOVE the concept of Quick Access. Kudos to AgileBits for this concept, which is both extremely helpful and fast to use, and fun at the same time (aside from the Spaces issue).

• Hi folks!

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention. I've opened an issue with our development team to track this. The internal issue # is 9490. You can reference this number if following up on the situation.

I apologize we haven't responded sooner. We're working around the clock to get to everyone's feedback.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9490

• Ah, scratch that. I closed my issue, as it was a duplicate of one Roustem already filed:
    https://1password.community/discussion/122764/opening-quick-access-unexpectedly-changes-desktops

Ben

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

This seems to be fixed in the latest nigthly build.
    Couple of glitches where it would show the main 1P window rather than the quick access window.

• Thanks for the update @AdieB! I'm glad to hear you're seeing improvements.

Couple of glitches where it would show the main 1P window rather than the quick access window

If you're able to identify the circumstances in which this occurs please let us know. Would love to track down any such oddities.

Ben

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member

Circling back on this to say that Quick Access now seems to respect spaces well, but the main app has an issue where once I close the main app window, my Mac jumps to a different space. Right now, it always jumps to my third space. Not sure if that is because that is where I first opened 1Password, or for some other reason.

This discussion has been closed.