You cannot hijack these Mac keyboard shortcuts with no option to change/disable them

Options

Command+Shift+L in Safari is “Show/Hide Sidebar”.

Command+Shift+\ in Pages is “Center Text”.

These are default apps from Apple and shortcuts that they have used for a decade or more. And now 1Password 8 is overriding them and doesn't allow me to change them.

This means that I now have to turn off "Keep 1Password in the Menu Bar" because it sets a global shortcut that I cannot turn off or customize.

I do not need 1Password popping up in Pages.app when I am trying to center text.

Even worse, I can't override the shortcut in Pages using Keyboard Maestro.

1Password has been a great Mac citizen throughout recorded history. I hope that the move to Electron will not change that, and I keep telling people that an Electron app can be a good Mac app. But keyboard shortcuts are a non-negotiable item.

(And that's not even mentioning that ⌘\ is no longer the shortcut to trigger 1Password in a browser? That's some of the oldest muscle memory that I have… not to mention a t-shirt. I don't understand why you would throw that away.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TJLuoma

1Password has been a great Mac citizen throughout recorded history. I hope that the move to Electron will not change that, and I keep telling people that an Electron app can be a good Mac app.

Thank you!

But keyboard shortcuts are a non-negotiable item.

No doubt. Shortcut customization is actively being worked on and will be available prior to the stable release.

(And that's not even mentioning that ⌘\ is no longer the shortcut to trigger 1Password in a browser? That's some of the oldest muscle memory that I have… not to mention a t-shirt. I don't understand why you would throw that away.)

Me too! This has been a more difficult problem to solve than originally anticipated but we've made some headway and I think we'll have a solution here soon. 🙏🏻

Ben

• TJLuoma
    TJLuoma
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I am greatly relieved to hear that! Not having 1Password running is just… weird!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome 💙

Ben

This discussion has been closed.