Browser and Quick Access Experience Questions

Options

Thanks for the opportunity to test the new 1Password 8 in Early Access. I'm on a team that helps roll out 1Password to our organization and want to be in front of any changes people may experience.

There are a lot of good changes to the app. I really love the new Edit mode. Seriously, that's just so much cleaner.

I have two things I'm struggling with.

1. The Quick Access (1Password Mini) just doesn't seem done. I'm so used to clicking on the icon in my menu up top and jumping into 1Password for any given thing. I'm just struggling to use the quick search well. I can learn the shortcut, but for users who are used to clicking and typing in that box, it will be a big change. My biggest complaint though is when it's "locked" I need to open the whole 1Password app to unlock and use it. Which, at that point feels like it's not even needed because I'd just go right in the app. Is it possible to unlock Quick Access without the whole app launching?
  2. I was a big user of the ⌘ + \ command when filling fields in a web browser. Is that completely gone now? I don't want to use Autofill all the time because I have multiple accounts for different sites that I do work on. I've looked all over the app and can't figure out how to use ⌘ + \ to open the browser plugin and select which login I'd like to use.

Thanks again for the Early Access. There are some big changes (to me at least) and this is helping me know how to support others on the team when these changes are rolled out later.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @adamhann

There are a lot of good changes to the app. I really love the new Edit mode. Seriously, that's just so much cleaner.

Awesome! Thanks so much for that input. 💙

The Quick Access (1Password Mini) just doesn't seem done

Frankly: it isn't. It was one of the last features we added before rolling out the Early Access. We knew there would be more work do to here.

I'm so used to clicking on the icon in my menu up top and jumping into 1Password for any given thing. I'm just struggling to use the quick search well. I can learn the shortcut, but for users who are used to clicking and typing in that box, it will be a big change.

Could you please check today's beta and see if the flow is better for this case? From the changelog:

Quick Access opens when left clicking the menubar

https://releases.1password.com/mac/early-access/#1password-for-mac-8.2.0-56

My biggest complaint though is when it's "locked" I need to open the whole 1Password app to unlock and use it. Which, at that point feels like it's not even needed because I'd just go right in the app. Is it possible to unlock Quick Access without the whole app launching?

Hmm. At present, it is not. But I understand this perspective. I'll chat with the team and doing some brainstorming around this.

I was a big user of the ⌘ + \ command when filling fields in a web browser. Is that completely gone now? I don't want to use Autofill all the time because I have multiple accounts for different sites that I do work on. I've looked all over the app and can't figure out how to use ⌘ + \ to open the browser plugin and select which login I'd like to use.

This is a work in progress. As of today's beta we have ⌘\ working to fill if there is only one Login match. It doesn't yet do anything if there are multiple matches. It looks like that is an improvement we'll need to make on the browser extension side. :+1:

Thank you!

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Frankly: it isn't. It was one of the last features we added before rolling out the Early Access. We knew there would be more work do to here.

It would be great if the Quick Access in Windows would open like 1PW Mini did. Actually, the popup opens in the center of the screen. I tried to move it to the bottom right above the Systray, but it doesn't fit if there are more search results. Then the bottom line of the Quick Access is hiding behind the Systray.

• adamhann
    adamhann
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - Wow, I wasn't expecting such a thorough response. Thank you. I know there are a lot of threads in here that you guys are responding to! I updated the Beta today and will try out the new suggestions above.

This discussion has been closed.