1Password ignoring vault selection

If I have All Vaults selected when I go to login to a site I get suggestions from all my vaults as expected.

When I change the vault selection to my work vault for instance I still get suggestions from all vaults when I go to login instead of just my work logins.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for 1Password to make use of what vault the user has selected rather than ignoring this option? When I’m at work I don’t want my personal vaults showing up and vice versa when st home I’m not interested in seeing my work logins. There’s always the All Vaults option for times when you do want to see all vaults.

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @reck ,

The vault selection is for when you view your list of logins in the extension's window only. It does not affect what shows up in the inline menu that shows inside/under usernames and password fields when you reach a login page.

If you want to exclude specific vaults from the autofill suggestions, here's how:

1. Open your browser and right click the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar.
    2. Select "Settings".
    3. In the settings page that opens, scroll all the way down to the bottom where you see your accounts and vaults. Turn off the specific vault(s) you want to exclude from autofill suggestions.

I hope that is what you're looking for :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Can’t really start disabling vaults as I need different vaults depending on what I’m doing and where I am.

I’d just like to filter on the vault I’m using right now so the suggestions stay relevant and the vault selector would do this but as you’ve explained only works in the extension window and not the browser window.

Will 1Password 8 show any improvements in this area or can this be added to a request list?

Thanks.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

Thanks for the additional info @reck .

If I understand correctly, you don't want your personal logins to show at your workplace and vice versa. Wouldn't it be best to disable your personal vault at your workplace and disable your work vault at home?

Disabling and enabling vaults can be done on the fly and you will be able to change this on the spot if needed in certain situations.

If we let the vault selector in the extension's window to dictate what will and won't show up in autofill suggestions, a lot of users won't understand where did their logins/password disappear and why they can't autofill it, which is something we're really actively trying to avoid :)

In case I misunderstood your feature request, please elaborate and define it in a clear manner so I can forward it to our developers. Keep in mind that if it may affect other users negatively, it probably won't make it into our stable versions.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

@ag_yaron

I use 1Password in the browser on my laptop which is what I use for work as well as when I’m at home doing my own thing.

When I’m working I’d like to just see my work vault and when I’m at home my home vault. Additionally I’d also like to easily switch active vaults on the fly, for instance during my lunch break and sometimes I do actually want to use All Vaults as well.

I can disable/enable vaults as a work-around but it’s not as convenient as just switching in the interface, especially when there is already a vault selector built in.

To your point about it being confusing to users I would say the inconsistent nature of the current implementation is more confusing. If I make the conscious decision to go in and change the active vault to work for instance I’d expect to see just that vault in my usage of 1Password. Instead you get this mix of results depending on what you are doing and see different things in the browser compared to the extension.

Surely the whole point of the vault selector is for exactly the reason I’ve described and I think most users would understand if they change their vault to “work” for instance they would just see their work logins. After all this is how it works in the extension window (hides logins for other vaults) and there’s no confusion there right?

If it’s a genuine concern that if a user has selected their work vault as the active vault but don’t understand why they then can’t see their home logins in the browser maybe at the bottom of the drop down you can just add a line saying “only showing logins from “home” vault” to make it crystal clear?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

Thanks for the additional feedback and clarification here, @reck .

I can definitely understand your use case and the logic behind it. While I forward this feedback, I think it is important to address a few key points here.

....and I think most users would understand if they change their vault to “work” for instance they would just see their work logins.

That is not what experience has taught us :)
    People will click on things and forget that they did, or simply not understand what they're clicking on, resulting in unwanted behavior. That's the world of software. It is our job to make sure that users will be able to log into their websites in every scenario, unless they specifically performed outstanding steps to prevent it. The vault picker in the extension's window is too accessible to have such definitive control but we'll definitely discuss this internally if more users ask for this to happen.

...maybe at the bottom of the drop down you can just add a line saying “only showing logins from “home” vault” to make it crystal clear?

That's a solid suggestion. Thank you for bringing that up!

For now, if you're looking for ways to improve/enhance your workflow, may I suggest you separate your browser's environment to two different profiles?
    A work profile and a personal profile will allow you to have complete separate environments (each with their own favorites, cache, extensions and settings), which will also allow you to set up 1Password differently on each one of them, and switching between profiles is much quicker and smoother than going into the extension's settings to turn vaults on/off.
    Just a thought and a suggestion that I hope you'll find helpful.

Thank you again for bringing this up and sharing your thoughts and experience with the extension. Do feel free to share any other pain points or feedback with us here :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#427

This discussion has been closed.