1Password 3.x and new ios apps

Options
Alarik
Alarik
Community Member

I'm sorry--but I just can't sort this out. I'm still using the 3.x version of 1password. I have the latest version of the app on my iPad and iPhone. It only offers me the choice of sync'ing via the cloud, dropbox, or itunes. I've tried reading the guides and they leave me confused. The interface of the new app is, frankly, a bit bewildering to me. The application on my Mac seems to see the iPad but the sync button is grayed out. I cannot get it to sync.

Sync'ing thru iTunes seems to be about file sharing, not sync'ing. And the problem with Dropbox is that if save the 1password data to dropbox the file, there, keeps growing (Dropbox saves incrementally) till it finally goes over the 2gig limit and I have to fork over $.

Do you have any place on your site that gives simple, step-by-step instructions for syncing the data in my Mac, using 1password version 3.8.20, and the latest apps for the phone and the iPad.

Or, is this a case where I need to upgrade to version 4 of the computer app?

Sorry to drag out what must be old issues!

Alarik

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Alarik,

Just another user here. From your post it seems like you have 3.x your Mac and 4.x on your iOS devices. It also sounds like prior to upgrading to 4.x on iOS, you were used to using local WiFi sync. Is that right?

If so, you should know that WiFi sync is not supported in 4.x on iOS which is why the button is greyed out on your Mac. Agilebits dropped support because it was unreliable and caused extensive support issues. There has been significant negative reaction from users to this decision and Agilebits are working on USB sync for Mac which brings back a local sync option for those that do not wish to use Dropbox or iCloud.

I don't know what you have in your keychain but I have a relatively large one and size has never been a problem with my free Dropbox account. I don't believe that past revisions of your files count against your storage quota either: https://www.dropbox.com/help/216/en. If you are happy to use Dropbox to sync then I recommend you give it a try because that is the simplest option.

If you aren't happy with using Dropbox, you could reinstall 3.x on your iOS devices by looking at your purchased list in the app store until USB sync is released.

Version 4 of the computer app is not available yet nor has a release date been announced.

I hope that helps.

PP

• Alarik
    Alarik
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Penelope--

Thank you so much. Yes, you're quite right about 3.x on the Mac and 4.x on the iOSes. I did look at the USB sync, and it seemed just too much fuss. So I ended up reinstalling the earlier version of the iOS app on the iPad. That now works as it did, syncing via iTunes.

For some reason beyond me, the 4.x version of the app is on the iPhone and seems to sync--wirelessly--via file sharing. At least, the logins are there. I thought file sharing had to do with actual files (Pages, Word) being shared out among apps on the phone.

I'm afraid I don't know how to sync via iCloud. On the iPhone it is grayed out. I'll try to find documentation.

I'll try Dropbox again. However, I don't know how to save 1Password to Dropbox--is it simply a matter of copying the Application Support folder to Dropbox, which is what I had been doing? And the 1Password folder kept growing and that, along my one other folder, soon exceeded 2 gigs and I found myself being either rebuked or solicited. Life's not easy.

Don't bother answering this--I should try to suss this out myself. I confess: I have always found 1Password rather opaque, and the instructions not at all clear. I wish they were less chipper and more lucid and systematic. Ah well.

Thank you very much. You answered my primary question.

I appreciate it.

Alarik

• Alarik
    Alarik
    Community Member
    Options

Penelope--

I'm sorry to be so slow. I quickly found out how to sync to Dropbox.

I am now searching for the answer to syncing via iCloud. I saw no mention of iCloud on the 1Password 3 help pages (which seem not to have search boxes?). Perhaps 3 doesn't or can't use that.

Thanks!

Alarik

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Alarik

You cannot sync with iCloud at the moment thru the Mac app, it will only work via the iOS apps.

So if you are trying to do Mac, and iOS Syncing then you would need to use Dropbox. You could turn on both Dropbox and iCloud on the iOS device. But until 1Password 4 arrives 1Password 3 cannot sync via iCloud.

If you were trying to sync just iOS then you could use iCloud.

• Alarik
    Alarik
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the help and information!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of T. Hightower and Penelope Pitstop, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.