Watchtower: make it "better"

Options
ursus
ursus
Community Member

Hi

I love what you guys are doing and, although you have got a lot of negative pushback regarding the Mac app I don't really mind it 😊 I like the new look and, as I have a very strong Mac, am not having any problems with resources - lucky me!

But, there is one thing that I think is would really help (me at least) and that is making Watchtower more useable ... what I mean by that is that I try and use good passwords everywhere but sometimes it is out of my hands, eg. at a customer site that has a GitLab server that is not secured by HTTPS. Now, I do understand it would be easy for them to do this using let's encrypt but, as an outsider, I do not want to push them too far on this matter. My workflow is such that I have a reminder to check WatchTower every month to just see if there are any problems - I currently have eg. 28 weak passwords and 9 unsecured Websites - that is quite true BUT I don't want to have to check these sites EVERY month and seeing if of the 28 weak passwords there is a new one is a waste of time and energy...

What would I like? The option of checking the sites and then setting them as OK/processed/checked in each of the categories. These should then not be listed again when checking the next time. That way I could set the 9 unsecured websites to OK and only get new sites that I can actually do something about ... how am I currently doing this? I just update the URL to HTTPS and then deal with it when trying to logon (and not getting the password prompt as it I HTTP instead of HTTPS). The weak passwords I move to the notes field and generate a strong password that then errors the first time I use it ... this is a lot of extra hassle that I could do without....

Again, I love the Watchtower and find it is every important to find out that I have weak passwords etc. I do need a way to tell the system to mark these sites / passwords etc. as checked and to not relist them (eg. maybe for a year and then I should check them again to see if the problem has been fixed)

Anyway, keep up the good work
Cheers from Austria
Ursus

PS: another thing... I just check the 2FA list and when I update an entry I get thrown out of WatchTower and need select watchtower and show items to get back to where I was - it would be nice if the entry was just removed from the list!

1Password Version: 8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• mfisher911
    mfisher911
    Community Member
    Options

Just here to second the workflow part that @ursus raised in his PS: it would be great to get to work against the Watchtower list without having to click back into it after deleting/resolving items.

• x19
    x19
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on both comments. The workflow for updating password through Watchtower in 8 isn't great. I also have several passwords that the site's policy enforce weak passwords. It would be great to flag those so they showed up in a different category (I wouldn't want them to be ignored completely)

• tvandinter
    tvandinter
    Community Member
    Options

Just another example: I have a Wikipedia account and the 1PW entry gets flagged as "2FA available", except they don't allow 2FA for most accounts. I'd like to be able to mark that entry as invalid/ignore or something similar so it's no longer flagged. I can click on "Don't save in 1Password", which I thought would ignore the situation, but what it actually does is add the "2FA" tag to the entry incorrectly, because I think that option means "it's enabled but tracked elsewhere".

This discussion has been closed.