Can I prevent v7 from updating to v8?

Options
donnacha
donnacha
Community Member

My subscription is paid until next January.

Will I be able to keep using v7 until then?

Is there anything I need to do to prevent it from automatically upgrading to v8?

I have no issue with your company's need to cut costs, and am grateful for 16 years of good service, but my Macs have insufficient memory for Electron apps. I will move to a different password manager but would prefer to put it off until Christmas because I am ridiculously busy.

So, will I be able to keep using 1Password v7 until the end of the year?

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1

Comments

• Hello @donnacha! 👋

1Password 7 won't be automatically updated to 1Password 8 and you'll need to make the active decision to upgrade from 1Password 7 to 1Password 8. We're still actively updating 1Password 7 (in fact we released a new beta last week) and 1Password 7 already works great with macOS 12 Monterey which will be released by Apple in the fall. I expect that 1Password 7 will continue to function for quite some time.

Thank you for sticking with us for so many years. If you find some time I hope that you give 1Password 8 a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what we're creating.

• donnacha
    donnacha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Dave_1P, I am relieved to hear that I will have time to deal with this.

I am sure that the future plans for 1P will work fine for the majority of customers. I understand that Mac users are not a significant portion of the market. Personally, however, I still prefer to use native apps and to support developers who support the MacOS ecosystem. That is why I started using 1P in the first place, but everything evolves over time, including companies, and I wish AgileBits nothing but success.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @donnacha, and thank you for the feedback and the kind words!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@donnacha, I think everyone prefers native apps. AgileBits did try to create one for 1PW8 but for some reason it did not work (possibly a wrong choice of the language to use), at least within the time-frame they chose. There is still hope that they will ultimately produce a native version of 1PW8.

Meanwhile, I suggest you renew your subscription in January, as you will be able to run 1PW7 until some time in 2023, and possibly for a year beyond that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion danco :+1: :)

• Narf
    Narf
    Community Member
    Options

The whole reason I supported 1PW moving to a subscription model was so we could get new features and proper support. I feel betrayed and will not be renewing my subscription either. Giving your customers a product that uses more CPU, memory and storage to make it easier on your developers is a very poor excuse. Electron runs an app on a private web server and browser. Talk about bloat for an app that should be light weight and "Agile".

• roustem
    edited August 2021
    Options

Let's talk about bloat.

Electron runs an app on a private web server and browser.

Electron is not a web server. It includes a browser engine that is used to render the contents. This is the same engine that billions of people use every day.

However, previous versions of 1Password used to include a full blown web server (for WebSockets communication with the browser extensions) and a Wi-Fi/Bonjour server.

• meowzz
    meowzz
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Let's talk about bloat... Many reports have been made that Electron app takes more than 400M RAM and 60+ threads and your attention is only on

Electron runs an app on a private web server and browser.

You know Narf's comment talks about CPU, memory, storage, but all you choose to ignore.......

And if you really want to talk about a web server, a web server like Nginx takes much much less memory(a few MB) than the above mentioned number when it serves only one client.

This discussion has been closed.