1Password doesn't detect domain for htaccess protection

Options

This is an issue with both 1p 7 and 8, but it's been an annoyance for a while now.

When a URL is protected with htaccess password protection 1P isn't detecting the URL for the auto-fill. Auto-fill (though it doesn't actually fill the dialog box) works when you choose the right site, but unlike all other "normal" logins, when I hit cmd-. to bring up the extension, I have to search my account to find the right domain.

Sequence:
Using Firefox 91 with 1p 8 beta and the beta 1p extension on macOS 11

1. Go to an htaccess protected URL on domain.com
  2. Get the htpasswd dialog box
  3. Hit cmd-.
  4. 1Password dialog appears
  5. Entry shows the top of my list - aaa.com
  6. Type 'domain.com' in search to find the correct site
  7. Hit enter
  8. Logged in

Expected behaviour

1. Go to htaccess protected URL on domain.com
  2. Get the htpasswd dialog box
  3. Hit cmd-.
  4. 1Password dialog appears
  5. Selected entry is domain.com
  6. Hit enter
  7. Logged in

I realize the extra work is minimal, but it's a minor annoyance and odd that 1p isn't able to detect the URL that it's at.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 11.5

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hey @arcterex ,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us about this!

The 1Password extension in your browser does support basic auth prompts and will show relevant logins. For example, try this:

1. Save a new login on this page: https://fill.dev/form/login-simple - you can input made up credentials and save it.
    2. Go to the basic auth page on that website and see if 1Password suggest the correct login item when you open the extension: https://basic.fill.dev/

However, since 1Password can only autofill actual HTML pages and forms, it won't be able to autofill the basic auth prompt as it is not a part of the page itself.
    The way to utilize 1Password to log into such pages is by starting the workflow from the extension itself. Here's how:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Click the extension icon to open 1Password.
    3. Locate the login item for the basic auth website login you want to get to and click on the blue "Open & Fill" button.

1Password will take you there and log you in without even showing the basic auth prompt.
    Give that a try and let us know if you've managed.

This discussion has been closed.