1Password interfering with Amex FICO Simulator

Options
williakz
williakz
Community Member
edited August 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Amex's MyCredit Guide site has a credit score simulator function where a user can enter various credit events to see what effect they would have on their FICO number. Unfortunately, 1Password sees some but not all of these "what-if" fields as fillable and places its logo in the selected field, thereby obscuring and interfering with user entry of desired data. How does one tell 1Password "Hands Off!" these particular fields, this page, the site, etc.? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. Chrome on Mac (latest production versions of all OS and application software).

Link (Simulator has a menu tab on main MyCredit Guide page):
https://www.mycreditguide.americanexpress.com

P.S. I realize the issue in this specific case is trivial. I posted it to learn if and how 1Password can be instructed to skip processing such fields in case similar behavior occurs in more substantive contexts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@williakz:

How does one tell 1Password "Hands Off!" these particular fields, this page, the site, etc.?

P.S. I realize the issue in this specific case is trivial. I posted it to learn if and how 1Password can be instructed to skip processing such fields in case similar behavior occurs in more substantive contexts.

You can use the Hide on this page button in the 1Password inline menu, when you click on it:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks, @ag_ana, that did the trick for Amex's credit score Simulator page. Can you tell me if there is a field-level "hiding" function in case a particular page has both fields I want 1Password to process along with ones I don't?

Also, I'd appreciate it if you or another tech could take a look at the Simulator page and tell me why some fields appear to be misinterpreted by 1Password while others very similar in content and function are properly processed (left alone). Thanks again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @williakz ,

1Password uses a lot of indicators on every page to determine what type of page it is (a login page? A sign-up? A payment page?), and then suggests relevant actions accordingly.

It uses clues that are found throughout the page and the HTML code behind the scenes to determine in which fields it should show up in and what each field does. For example, if a field is called "Credit card number", 1Password will most likely determine it needs to show up and suggest autofilling your credit card.

Sometimes this can be incorrect if you are on a very long page with a bunch of fields that look like they are fillable for 1Password but in fact are fields that should be manually filled by the user. For example, if you're on a real-estate website and you need to enter a certain address to look at a property, 1Password might show up in it and suggest autofilling your address/identity item, but that would be irrelevant.

It sounds like this is happening on this website, which I couldn't access as I don't have an account, and when trying to sign up with bogus info it said that there's no data with the info I provided. However I don't think it is really relevant as the explanation above is most likely correct in this particular instance.

We are always working on improving 1Password's autofilling abilities and logic, but that is a never-ending uphill battle as every website is built and designed differently, and most of them do not adhere to any specific standard :)

If you'd like us to take a look at that webpage where things didn't work as expected, please send us the page's structure like so:

1. Get to the page where 1Password showed up in the wrong places.
    2. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select "Help" -> "Collect Page Structure".
    3. Send us the downloaded file to support+x@1password.com along with a short description and a couple of screenshots showing in which fields it showed up and why it shouldn't show up in them.

That would allow us to improve 1Password on that particular page and perhaps on others like it :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation, @ag_yaron. I'll follow your instructions to send you and your colleagues the page structure file for Amex's credit score Simulator. The thing I found curious is that 1Password appears interested in filling some, but not all, fields that obviously (to me) take a dollar amount. Seems like one of those fields should be pretty much the same as any other as far as being 1P actionable (or not). Anyway, I'll reference this thread in the email. Thanks in advance for taking a look at things—I don't often see 1P fooled so it's notable when it does occur.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @williakz .
    Got me curious as well ;)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Oops! I know you get this a lot, but here's one more iteration. When I went back into the Amex credit report Simulator to collect the page structure for you and to gather screenshots, 1Password was operating perfectly. No icons in ANY of the data input fields and thus no interference entering dollar amounts. So, uh, never mind (in screechy voice of Roseanne Roseannadanna).

(I swear on a stack of computer manuals ALWAYS to reboot my computer before reporting any problem with application or OS software operation. I swear on a stack...)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Heh, that makes me even more curious :)

Well, if it happens again, grab the page structure on the spot and we'll be waiting here :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

I snagged the page structure then noticed everything was fine when I went to take some screen caps. I'll grab a couple screen caps and send them your way later today along with the page structure file so you can at least see why 1P might've been fooled (and making one out of me!).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @williakz .

If the issue did not occur when you captured the page structure, I doubt we'll be able to tell what happened there so it will mostly be speculations.
    Anyways, I hope you'll have smooth sailing from here on out :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Info sent anyways for what it's worth (probably not much). Bitbot code: #FEB-53858-891

By the way, I would think AgileBits could readily establish "live" accounts with the big financial companies for you tech folks to get into to see just what users are experiencing. There should be no need for you to utilize your personal account or (horrors!) user accounts to do so. Statistics tell us that access to a relatively small number of major sites will cover the majority of problems 1Password users experience. Food for thought.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @williakz ,

The problem with big financial companies is that they just won't listen.
    We always suggest users to contact their banking website and let them know their login/change password form is horrible using our open letter: https://blog.1password.com/an-open-letter-to-banks/

The vast majority of these institutions simply do not listen despite getting that feedback from a lot of customers, so having us open an account there won't help much except for being able to see the issue as you can see it. In most cases we are unable to overcome the issue on our side as the page is specifically constructed in a way that trips up autofilling/copy-pasting, as mentioned in that open letter.

Thanks for the suggestion though! Much appreciated.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

"...being able to see the issue as [users] can see it." is the point. Alas, I understand only too well the institutional inertial and insulation of large organizations. They are all but impermeable to external arguments based on best practices and common sense.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed.
    In most cases it really helps us seeing the issue as users can, but in some scenarios such as this we can do nothing but stare at it.

Hopefully a time will come where they all start following the open standards :+1:

This discussion has been closed.