Macbook Beta automatically starts 1Password app

Options

Macbook Beta automatically starts 1Password app . Any idea how can i stop that ?

1Password Version: 8.2.56 - ΒΕΤΑ
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOs 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @agipaok!

If you right-click on the 1Password icon in the dock and select Options, is Open at Login checked for you?

• agipaok
    agipaok
    Community Member
    Options

Nope . Not checked ! Neither on settings to start automatically .

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Did you start a browser?

For me it opens when I do that. Quite annoying…

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's what happens here - every time I launch a browser it opens the 1P 8 app.

• Oh I see what is happening. The browser integration is enabled and the browser extension is starting the app to make sure it could use features like Touch ID and universal unlock.

It certainly shouldn't be brining the main app window to the foreground though.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem So the main app needs to be actually running?? There's no more helper or whatever?

• bfaulk96
    bfaulk96
    Community Member
    Options

I'm guessing this is a similar note, but it's pretty frustrating that you can't have 1Password in your menu bar unless it's also running and in your dock. Is this something that is fixable and on the roadmap? As a developer, I have enough dock items active all the time, I'd rather not have my password manager also down there when I can use the browser extension or quick access more often than not.
    Thanks for all your team's hard work and for being responsive to all of the feedback in these forums!

• Ben
    Options

Hey folks,

There are ongoing discussions around:

• What it should mean for 1Password to be 'quit'
    • When the menu bar icon is available and what the implications of that are
    • How and when Quick Access should be available
    • How to make sure browser integration works as expected under various conditions

I don't know that we have it all figured out yet, but it is something we're very aware of and working toward. Thanks for letting us know about the pain points!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Also, to clarify, as it stands: yes, the app has to be running for browser integration to work. You don't have to have the window open, but the app has to be running.

Ben

• bfaulk96
    bfaulk96
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

To be a little more helpful on the "pain point" from my point-of-view – and maybe others disagree – but I view a good password manager as something that is meant to be as passive/unobtrusive as possible whilst still increasing productivity and allowing quick access to passwords and secrets. 1Password 7 and the browser extension achieved this pretty well, and it sounds like many of the changes you guys are making for 1Password 8 attempt to push this concept further, but these sorts of issues/limitations really feel like a regression in that sense.

Unfortunately for now, between the browser integration and the lack of standalone menu bar access, this is a pretty significant regression that will probably keep me using 1Password 7 other than to occasionally check for new beta updates in hopes that this is fixed in upcoming releases. I will eagerly anticipate the changelogs :smile:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @bfaulk96. Regarding the browser, what sort of behavior are you looking to be different there?

Ben

• bfaulk96
    bfaulk96
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hmm, well this is interesting. I have restarted my Mac since previously posting, and I now notice that, other than the inability to show the menu icon on login, I can now close 1Password 8 without the menu icon disappearing. Would still be nice to show the icon on login, but my major complaint about it doesn't seem to happen anymore (not sure where it went – pretty positive I was on 8.2.0-56.BETA already).

As for the browser integration, it also doesn't seem to force the app itself to open anymore, so you can ignore that comment I suppose. I did notice that the focus isn't quite right if starting 1Password 8 from the browser:
    1. Close menu icon and app
    2. Click on browser extension (I'm using Edge if that matters)
    3. "Unlocking" browser message appears
    4. Touch ID appears
    5. 1Password app opens and steals focus, forcing me to click on the Touch ID box again to use it

Ideally the app wouldn't steal focus from the Touch ID box :smile: It's worth noting though that the scenario above only happens when starting 1Password 8 from the browser. If you manually start the app then the focus is correctly on Touch ID over the main app.

Given the fact that the app successfully closes (as in, no longer exists in the dock, but still shows in the menu) after you use Touch ID for the browser extension, I'd like to further add that it would be a smoother user experience if the app never appeared in the foreground or dock. Not sure I explained that well so I'll show the ideal steps below:
    1. Click on browser extension
    2. "Unlocking" browser message appears
    3. 1Password menu icon shows up if not already open
    4. Touch ID box appears to unlock

• agipaok
    agipaok
    Community Member
    Options

As i said the main pain point i see is that when i start the safari , 1Pass 8 starts to verify as @Ben said...! But i would like to work as the 1pass 7 extension !

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

But i would like to work as the 1pass 7 extension !

+1

This discussion has been closed.