1Password classic extension autofills Firefox main window instead of private window

Options

When using the 1Password classic extension in Firefox 91.0 (as well as several previous versions):
1. Allow the extension to "Run in Private Windows" in the Add-ons Manager
2. Open a new private window
3. Navigate to a site with credentials stored in 1Password
4. Using the browser extension from the toolbar, select AutoFill from the suggestion

• Expected: 1Password autofills the credentials in the private window
  • Actual: 1Password opens a new tab and loads the site in the main window

1Password Version: 7.8.7 (70807004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @nekno ,

I'm trying to reproduce this here but things seem to work as expected. Here are my steps:

1. I open Firefox.
    2. It opens on my homepage or on the last website I visited. I open a new private window and go to one of my websites or to google.com (if I stay on the empty private window open and fill cannot work at all).
    3. I click on the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of the browser, look for one of my websites and click on "Open & Fill".
    4. 1Password opens a new tab in the private browsing window, takes me to the website and autofills the credentials.

Can you please check the extensions page in your Firefox and make sure there's only one 1Password extension in it? If there are two, disable/remove the one you are not using and see if the issue persists.
    Also, when you open a new private window, make sure you're not trying to open and fill while in an empty tab.

• nekno
    nekno
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron — It looks like it is a symptom of having both the new 1Password extension and the 1Password classic extension installed and enabled simultaneously. It does work as expected if I disable the new 1Password extension.

Does it have to be that way, tho?

I would like to use the new 1Password extension in the main window, to take advantage of its benefits and track its progress.

But it still has some rough edges where the 1Password classic extension works better, and it doesn't work at all in a private window.

Is enabling the new 1Password extension in private windows on the roadmap (I don't quite understand why it isn't allowed now)?

Is there a reason both extensions can't work side-by-side while the new one is still being fleshed out (it seems like this unexpected behavior is a symptom of sharing components that could be made separate for the time being)?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @nekno ,

Indeed, having both extensions enabled simultaneously will cause some unwanted side effects. When you try to open and fill from Classic, it will send a command to the desktop app, at which point the desktop app will try to contact the new extension as it takes priority. I recommend you disable one of them at all times. If you want to use both, you can separate them into two different Firefox user profiles: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Is enabling the new 1Password extension in private windows on the roadmap (I don't quite understand why it isn't allowed now)?

Extensions can run in private browsing, it is not a feature on the extension's side but on the browser's side.
    Simply right click the extension's icon on the top right corner, select "Manage Extension" and change the option there to allow it to run in private browsing mode.

This discussion has been closed.