iPad - Hardware security key?

Options
tiltowaitt
tiltowaitt
Community Member

I have a USB-C hardware key (Solo Tap) that I used to set up as a security key in 1Password. The key works fine on the iPhone over NFC, but my iPad doesn’t give me an option for a hardware key; instead, it insists on my entering the 6-digit code from my authenticator app.

Is there a way for 1Password on iPad to accept the hardware key instead? I know for a fact it works with the iPad, because I used the iPad to add it to my account!

1Password Version: 7.7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15 beta 6

Comments

• tiltowaitt
    tiltowaitt
    Community Member
    Options

Curious. I just got on my Mac, and the 1PW app (both v7 and v8) didn't ask for the key, either; they only gave an option for the 6-digit 2FA code. The website, however, accepts the key.

• Hello @tiltowaitt! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble using your Solo Tap security key to authenticate to your 1Password account. At the moment the 1Password app on the iPhone and iPad only supports YubiKey 5 NFC, YubiKey 5C NFC, or YubiKey 5Ci. The 1Password for Mac app doesn't yet support security keys. For these apps you can use the six-digit two-factor code from your Authenticator app as you mentioned doing in your second comment. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, we're hoping to expand support for security keys in the future.

You can read more here: Use your U2F security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

I hope that helps. :)

• tiltowaitt
    tiltowaitt
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Dave_1P My iPhone did work with the Solo Tap, though.

ETA: My research led me to believe that the important thing is FIDO2 + U2F, both of which the Solo has. Was this in error? Why does the website support it just fine but not the app?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tiltowaitt:

Why does the website support it just fine but not the app?

My understanding was that the developers just had not had the chance to implement it yet. Looking at the list of updates, they focused on other features and fixes lately, so it is possible this might come in the future :+1:

This discussion has been closed.