Printing in 1Password 8

Options

It looks like you cannot print password lists anymore in 1Password 8.

Every now and then I print a list of my most important passwords (including one-time-passwords) and put it in a safe, so I have them in case I lose access to 1Password for whatever reason.

Is this planned? Ideally, this feature would offer more configuration options than in 1Passwords 7 - for example, I would like to see a compact list/table, so I don't need to waste a lot of paper.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:print

Comments

• HI @lextar,

Thanks so much for testing out 1Password 8.

To directly answer your question "is this planned" I am not sure, but I have started a discussion internally so the team can make a decision. One thing that may help this decision is to learn why you decide to print vs. using something like the Emergency Kit. A benefit of the Emergency Kit is that it can stay the same and always get you access to the latest version of your 1Password data, in comparison to printing where you only have the most recent data as of your last print.

ref: dev/core/core#9570

• Lextar
    Lextar
    Community Member
    Options

Of course I also printed out the Emergency Kit and it put in a safe place.

This is more for (hopefully theoretical) cases like 1Password's data centers burning down or someone getting access to my 1Password account and deleting all data.

With my most important passwords (like for example for my email accounts) printed out and stored in a safe place, I can regain access to all other accounts in case I lose 1Password data for whatever reason.

• KirkMcPike
    KirkMcPike
    Community Member
    Options

How do you print the emergency kit in 1P 8 for Mac?

• @lextar,

Thanks so much for the explanation, I can understand wanting have an extra backup just in case, I personally use the local cached copies of 1Password on my devices as that extra backup instead of a print version. Also as a really quick aside 1Password data is stored / backed across multiple data centres so even if a data centre did burn down or become inaccessible (which likely won't happen), your data would still be safe. As I mentioned above I did start that discussion and will add your comments to the discussion. Thanks again for letting me know.

@KirkMcPike,

Currently you can download your Emergency Kit from 1Password.com, this guide details how to do that: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/#1passwordcom

There is not currently a way to do this in 1Password 8, but I will let the team know you want this feature available there as well.

ref: dev/core/core#9397

• KirkMcPike
    KirkMcPike
    Community Member
    Options

So another way in which this new app fails to live up to its predecessor.

• tvandinter
    tvandinter
    Community Member
    Options

FYI that 1PWv8 has File>Export ala https://support.1password.com/export/ so you can create a backup of your data, though the options are more limited than that site shows. It's unclear how to import it back in -- web says use app for 1PW, app has no import/restore option that I can see. That said, at least in an absolute worst-case situation, an export is better than nothing. Digital copy > printed list. We could then write our own code to import via command line tool, probably, or convert into another format, as necessary. All of this should really be built-in. 😥

This discussion has been closed.