Filling in 3rd party non-browser apps

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Design language.

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@ben Thanks for the clear and concise response. Is password filling in apps (as opposed to websites) also not on the roadmap for Quick Access?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

@OAW

My understanding is that password filling in 3rd party non-browser apps is a separate consideration. It is something we'd like to offer, but we're reliant on the frameworks provided by the various host operating systems (e.g. Password AutoFill on macOS) in some cases. That would likely be handled by a separate feature team from Quick Access. If we are able to do that I would imagine we would integrate it into Quick Access, but there is a lot of speculation underlying that.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9620

• austin
    austin
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben According to someone earlier on this thread or in a different thread, if a URL is specified with an app identifier (app://com.companyName.AppName), 1Password mini 7 is able to autofill into a non-browser application. I have not verified this myself.

• Ben
    Options

@austin

1Password 7 for Mac can use app identifiers to be contextually aware, but it cannot autofill into those apps. If for example you save app://com.apple.Terminal in a website field on a Login item, and then open Mini while in the Terminal app, 1Password will show the aforementioned Login item as a suggestion. It will not fill that Login into Terminal, though.

We'd like to be able to do both, and I'm fairly confident we'll be able to make 1Password 8's Quick Access contextually aware. I'm less certain about filling.

Ben

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I’ve got to be honest. This essentially sounds like an existing feature in the 1PW7 Mac app may or may not make the cut for the cross platform 1PW8 app depending upon what other platforms I don’t even use can support. As an OG customer going all the way back to Version 1.x when it was still called “1Passwd” I can’t even begin to express how disappointing it is to see the company adopting this “lowest common denominator” development approach. And it’s not just this particular feature. What I’ve seen so far of 1PW8 and the contents of this forum has for the first time in all these years caused me to no longer view the app as indispensable software. I’ve never even considered an alternative. Until now. 😞

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

@OAW

Filling in 3rd party non-browser apps is not something 1Password 7 for Mac does either. It does offer drag & drop. Is that perhaps what you're thinking of? If so, drag & drop is availble in the 1Password 8 Early Access as well.

Ben

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben You are right the Mac app doesn't "autofill". That's on iOS. I'm referring to the feature where 1PW Mini shows the Login info as a "Suggestion" for 3rd party non-browser apps.

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. I can confirm that is something we have an issue filed for, and development is looking into. :+1: Quick Access was one of the last features to squeeze into the Early Access release. We knew up front there would be more work to do here before we ship a stable offering. :) Thanks for the feedback on this!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9390

This discussion has been closed.