Secret Key Question

Options
kram5819
kram5819
Community Member

I understand that the Secret Key is a 34-character set of letters and numbers that acts in conjunction with your master password to protect your account. I am curious how? How does 1password recognize IF I get a new computer or sign into a different computer. I know when you do log into a new computer or sign into a different computer, you need your 34 character secret key. My question is HOW does 1password KNOW when your on your computer and only need your password to get into your account?

I know it works no doubts and that is 1 other reason I like 1 password as 1password is very security conscious..

BUT.. How does it work just curious, I Know that It’s stored in the 1Password apps and browsers used to sign in to your account on 1Password.com. I also read that Encrypted copies of the Secret Key are stored in your device backups and keychains to provide data loss protection.

I just wonder how.......... but GLAD IT DOES :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kram5819

The Secret Key is stored on your devices once you've entered it. It isn't so much that 1Password is recognizing the existing device but more so the existing device already has the Secret Key and is utilizing it in the authentication process. A new device doesn't have it yet. If you were to delete the Secret Key from your existing device 1Password would think it were a new device. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.