WooParadog
Community Member

Hi,

The newly added Show Quick Access is mapped to Ctrl+Shift+Space,
which is a super common short cut for various things, like:

1. Change IME
  2. Launcher
  3. ...

Is there anyway to change it or simply disable it?

1Password Version: 8.2.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @WooParadog

I apolgize for the inconvenience. We are actively working on getting the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts into the app, including the one for showing Quick Access. Hopefully we can get this out soon. 🙏🏻 In the meantime if you're feeling adventurous you can modify the config file directly:

"keybinds.open": "CmdOrCtrl+Shift+\\"

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#3374

• WooParadog
    WooParadog
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

Thanks! But is the path for settings file the following?

$HOME/.config/1password/settings/settings.json

I tried adding that config to be like this, but it still doesn't work

{
      "ui.routes.lastUsedRoute": "{\"type\":\"ItemList\",\"content\":{\"unlockedRoute\":{\"collectionUuid\":\"--------\"},\"itemListType\":{\"type\":\"Vault\",\"content\":\"25\"},\"category\":null,\"sortBehavior\":null}}",
      "privacy.checkHibp": true,
      "advanced.EnableDebuggingTools": true,
      "keybinds.open": "CmdOrCtrl+Shift+,"
    }

• @WooParadog

My apologies; I misunderstood what that keybind is for. That is for opening the main window, not Quick Access. It doesn't appear we have a config setting for Quick Access at this point. I did confirm that the work is nearly complete on the in-app preferences for this though. Sorry about that.

Ben

• WooParadog
    WooParadog
    Community Member

No problem! I'll wait for the new version then, thanks again.

• dlsniper
    dlsniper
    Community Member

Hi, I'd like to chime in to say that the shortcut also conflicts with the default shortcut for Smart Type Completion in JetBrains IDEs. Perhaps asking users to configure the shortcut would help avoid these comments? Thanks.

• Hey @dlsniper, thanks for sharing and I apologize for the conflicts here! I can confirm that customizable shortcuts are on their way, though I can't share a specific time - keep an eye on our Releases page to watch for new features and improvements! :smile:

• @WooParadog and @dlsniper, 1Password 8.2.2-19, released yesterday, added the ability to change the global shortcuts. I hope you like it!

• kkennynguyen
    kkennynguyen
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

@Savanni, @Dayton_ag, @Ben

Thank you for providing the answer and solution on this matter. I have been using 1Password for several years and just encountered this issue today.

I have been able to remap this global shortcut on my system after uninstalling 1Password and reinstalling 1Password Beta. This was certainly an inconvenience.

I would like to chime in my 2cent:

• Please take extra care when implementing any new features with Global Shortcuts in the future. They can potentially be very annoying to deal with. The Ctrl + Shift + Space shortcut is regularly used in various applications, most commonly known amongst the code editors/IDE/SQL Editor applications. My personal opinion is that, without the feature to re-configure or turning them off, global shortcuts should not be implemented at all.
    • In the Beta version, it is possible to remap the shortcuts. However I would recommend to also add an option to disable global shortcuts altogether. My personal opinion is that I am perfectly happy with the various ways by which I have been able to access the application. After all, 1Password is a password manager and perhaps a part of your user base do not want any "quick access" or "quick open" ability at all.
  • WooParadog
    WooParadog
    Community Member

@Savanni Thanks! I see that 8.2.2 is released on beta. I'll wait for the stable version.

In the Beta version, it is possible to remap the shortcuts. However I would recommend to also add an option to disable global shortcuts altogether. My personal opinion is that I am perfectly happy with the various ways by which I have been able to access the application. After all, 1Password is a password manager and perhaps a part of your user base do not want any "quick access" or "quick open" ability at all.

IMO, 1password should keep the old mac tradition of not adding many options, but should keep an eye on avoiding common conflicts.

BTW, I don't care if electron, it's nice to have a software on linux with that fast support. Cheers.

• We're working on this, too! Our plan is to add the ability for you to completely clear any shortcut that you want to. I'll of course post in the release notes when that makes it in.

This discussion has been closed.