Unreadable PDF and PNG Files - Help!

jasnw
jasnw
Community Member

I have started reviewing files that I have stored over the years in 1Password that have all been converted into the new Documents items, and I am finding that an alarmingly large number of them are unreadable. These are computer recovery keys and similar information that (1) is critical, and (2) I stored in 1Password because they ARE critical. Now I can't read them. Help!

I have these in a 1Password online account which I'm accessing using 1Password 7.8.7 on macOS 11.5.2, and in a local databases I'm accessing using 1Password 6.8.9 on macOS 10.11.6. All of the broken files were originally stored in my local database, so it looks like they were corrupted long before I moved to the online account and 1Password 7.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasnw!

All of the broken files were originally stored in my local database, so it looks like they were corrupted long before I moved to the online account and 1Password 7.

This might indeed be a problem, if the files were originally already corrupted. Are you able to view these files if you go to your vault on the 1Password.com website?

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member

While there is no way I can prove the files were not corrupted when originally put into 1Password, I am close to 100% certain that they were fine. I just checked some of them on the website, and they are broken there as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasnw:

Do you perhaps have a local backup from the old days before you migrated this data to 1Password.com? Something as close as possible to the day where you added these documents to your vault?

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member

No, as these are files I wanted to store in a secure fashion, so I put them into 1Password and then deleted them. I do have some old 1Password backups. Is there any way to recover an old backup into a new vault set up just for the recovery process? I'd want to do this using v6.8.9 which is on the computer with the oldest backup files.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasnw:

Is there any way to recover an old backup into a new vault set up just for the recovery process?

Yes, you can open 1Password and choose File > Restore. Select the backup you want to restore and click Restore.

This discussion has been closed.