reluctant family members

Options
phadley
phadley
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Families

My wife recently shared our 1password with a coworker and wrote it down in their lunch room, so I had to reset everything and check all our important accounts.
So, I need to educate my reluctant family about the importance of keeping passwords confidential and secure.
I am a software engineer, so I understand. But my wife not so much.
Please share any resources that will help me to drive home this point.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Don't share important info with persons you cannot trust. In this case, you wife is a person you cannot trust with computer stuff. Not because she is not trustworthy, but because she isn't able to keep confidential things confidential. This is not because she is evil, it's because of her (lack of) understanding of technical things. I also know such persons, and it's often not possible to raise their technical understanding above a certain threshold. I resigned with them and try to keep my really important info myself and hope the best for theirs. If they get into trouble, I try to repair as much and as fast as I can, but prevention is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

If it comes to 1Password, I assume you have a family account. Don't make her family organizer. Don't share your own credentials but instead use your private vault. Use your own master password your wife doesn't know. Share only stuff you cannot avoid sharing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phadley:

We have a documentation page on our website with a good overview, you might find this useful:

How to keep your 1Password account secure

This discussion has been closed.