Release date of 1Password 8 please?

Options
r1ma
r1ma
Community Member

Hi, any idea when the current 1Password 8 for Windows, will be out of beta and release as stable version? Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @r1ma

I realize it probably isn't a very satisfying answer, but it's the most honest one I can give: when it's ready. We initially had an internal deadline for ourselves set for sometime in September:

However with a self-imposed ship date of September 2021, our timeline to bring these apps to stable was starting to look a bit tight.

https://blog.1password.com/1password-8-the-story-so-far/

One of our founders, Roustem, later clarified:

that was an internal, self-imposed deadline. It is important to have one, otherwise the software will never be shipped. I am happy that we have the public beta finally available. It helps us judge the readiness of the app for official release. At this point, there is no doubt that September will not work.

This was in reference to 1Password 8 for Mac specifically, but it may (likely) be applicable to 1Password 8 for Windows as well. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but some of these decisions haven't been set in stone yet.

Ben

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, thanks for the info. I hope 1Password 8 will be released before October 5. Since Windows 11 will be out in Oct 5. Thank you again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@r1ma:

Thank you for the feedback :+1: I don't think you should worry about the Windows version though, as you can certainly run both Windows 11 and 1Password 8 if you prefer.

• TGP
    TGP
    Community Member
    Options

When will it be released?

• Ben
    Options

@TGP

We have not announced a release date for the stable version of 1Password 8 at this point.

Ben

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member
    Options

To add to the confusion, the December 2021 issue of MacLife (just received about a week ago) is reviewing it (glowingly I must say) as if it's out of the gate. There is no mention that they are reviewing an early release.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @DrSFG :+1:

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@DrSFG It's not an early release any more. The last v8 version was called a release candidate. This tells us the release is imminent - this year, I suppose. Probably as Christmas gift. Even though I would say that bureaucracy software like a password manager is not necessarily the greatest Christmas gift in the world.

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member
    Options

My point was that MacLife was reviewing an early release version and they were thinking that final release would be in September. They didn’t say they were not reviewing the stable release, so it looks like if you were reading the magazine that V8 was out of the gate. Maybe it’s me but I think they were wrong to review anything but the stable release, and if they were reviewing an early release, they should have said so.

My feeling is that it should not be announced until all the t’s and i’s are crossed and dotted, how ever long that may take.

• Howdy All,

The release date for 1Password 8 for Windows is today!

• Lovemymelba
    Lovemymelba
    Community Member
    Options

Since it seems like Windows is your priority, when will you release version 8 for macOS so all your faithful Mac users who supported you over the years can use the new version?

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    Options

It's not ready yet, so I hope it's not "release candidate" I find new issues each time I open the app (Tonight it failed to unlock for several attempts), I cannot manage vaults at all, I cannot drag items from a search results list into vaults on the left side, there is unlocalized text in the menus, etc.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I think I saw a post where Dave mentioned "next year"?

(Just to set expectations)

I would agree with that, as there are indeed still many issues to fix.

• Lovemymelba
    Lovemymelba
    Community Member
    Options

So are people using the Windows version having issues or just the Mac version? Isn’t V8 cross platform? I would love to have the new version but not if it is too buggy!

• Hey folks, just to let you know, the "release candidate" in question became the current version of 1Password 8 for Windows. We don't have any news about a release of the Stable 1Password 8 for Mac yet, but we will definitely be posting here when we do!

Improvements to both apps will continue to come regularly. Some will be shared cross-platform, due to 1Password 8's shared core, and some will necessarily be specific to a given OS (which is a good thing!). Our developers are continuing to add new features and fixes, and we on the Customer Service side will continue listening to your feedback and highlighting where there's room for improvement.

Sorry I can't share any more definite plans about the Mac release yet, but our iterative process here is rolling along, and we hope that the Stable version is one that delights you. 😃

• PrateekSrt
    PrateekSrt
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Folks,

Is there any update on the release date for stable v8 on mac? I have been following the discussion and buzz around this new version, but there seems to be no official release date yet or did I miss it.

• Ben
    Options

No date announced yet. Soon. 😊

Ben

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@PrateekSrt

Is there any update on the release date for stable v8 on mac? I have been following the discussion and buzz around this new version, but there seems to be no official release date yet or did I miss it.

Based on a couple of posts in these forums, it seems the official release of v8 for macOS is imminent, likely around mid-April.

• @EnerJi

"Imminent" was what I saw in the newsletter. Exactly what that means I do not know.

This discussion has been closed.