Windows v8, I miss the password generator tool

Options

I see that you can generate passwords when creating a new entry in the UI, but what I miss is the ability to just pop up the password generator tool outside of that, when all you need is a random password for something.

I think I used to get to that by right clicking 1PW in the system tray.

1Password Version: 8.2.2-19.BETA
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 build 19043.1165

Comments

• @jtemple

Are you referring to the password generator in the desktop app or the browser extension? As far as the desktop app goes, you're still able to generate a password by selecting New Item followed by Password. From there you can quickly generate a new password. If you're running the beta version of 1Password for your browser browser, click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar followed by the key icon at the top right, which should open the Password Generator for you.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have any questions - I'll be happy to help.

• jtemple
    jtemple
    Community Member
    Options

Oh my, there it is right there. The little key icon in the browser extension! Why didn't I think to click that thing, I don't know.

I remember it being on the context menu in the windows app when you right clicked the system tray icon, and now that's gone.

That's exactly what I was after, a quick way to generate a password without having to be in the item editor.

Thanks!

• @jtemple

Admittedly, I also forgot about the context menu option from the system tray icon! You're right, 1Password 8 does not currently support this feature. Although I'll be happy to let the team know that you miss it here. That being said, I'm glad we were able to give you another quick route through the browser extension. Hopefully this is a meaningful workaround in the meantime. :)

• jtemple
    jtemple
    Community Member
    Options

The one built into the extension is good enough for me!

• @jtemple

Brilliant! :+1: Do not hesitate to reach back out if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.