When invoking 1P8 unlock from the browser, it takes extra clicks for TouchID/Watch

When using the browser extension and 1P8 is locked, it's already inconvenient to have to click "Open 1Password" to unlock, but I've gotten used to it from 1P7+1PX. However, I've noticed that with 1P8 once the 1Password main window appears to enter the master password or use biometrics to unlock, you still have to ALSO click the icon to invoke biometric unlock. This is an extra step since 1P7 and particularly frustrating.

In 1P7, if biometric unlock is enabled its automatically invoked when the you request to unlock from the browser extension.

Additional info: I'm using Firefox 91.0.2 (which seems to invoke 1P8), when using Chrome, the browser extension always invokes 1P7 and not 1P8 (I have both versions installed).

1Password Version: 8.2.2-6.BETA
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• Hi @ramblingpolak

I believe we've got this fixed up for Touch ID-enabled machines (that aren't clamshelled) in the latest nightly. The remaining difficulty seems to be for those wishing to unlock with Apple Watch, including if their MacBook does have Touch ID but the lid is closed. So there are still some challenges to try and come up with solutions for here.

Please let me know if you opt to try the nightly build, or once the next beta ships, if things are improved.

Ben

• ramblingpolak
    ramblingpolak
    Community Member

For what it's worth, I typically rely on watch unlock as most of the time I'm operating in clamshell mode. Will keep an eye out for the improvements.

Curious if you also happen to know why one browser opens 1P8 and the other opens 1P7.

• @ramblingpolak

Each browser has a separate extension database that keeps track of those sorts of settings. I have some recommendations I wrote up for folks trying to keep both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 on the same system, which may help, here:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/610891/#Comment_610891

For what it's worth, I typically rely on watch unlock as most of the time I'm operating in clamshell mode. Will keep an eye out for the improvements.

As I understand it that continues to be a pain point for now. Thanks for letting us know. We'll continue to investigate our options here.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.