Updating Mac app does not retain customized app name

If you set a custom name for the 1Password app, once the app is updated, the custom name is ignored and you end up with 2 copies of the app.

Reproduction

• Install an older version of the early access app
  • Rename the app to "1Password 8"
  • Update the app

Expected: "1Password 8" is updated
Actual: A new app called "1Password" is created, and the "1Password 8" app is still the old version

I'm trying to leave 1Password 7 installed side-by-side with 8 during early access testing, but this makes it a bit annoying to do :smile:

1Password Version: 8.2.2-19.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• Hi @klanchman

Thanks for the report! I'm afraid renaming the app isn't supported. If your goal is to have both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 available this is possible, with a couple caveats:

• The two apps should not be running at the same time. To help facilitate this, I'd recommend disabling "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" in 1Password 7 under 1Password > Preferences > Browser.
    • Install 1Password 7 from our website, rather than from the App Store. This way the filename for 1Password 7 will be 1Password 7.app rather than 1Password.app (which as you've noted 1Password 8 uses).

That's what I've been doing on my system to keep both available with minimal conflict between them. I hope that helps!

Ben

• klanchman
    klanchman
    Community Member

Ah, that’s a bummer I can’t rename it. Not too big a deal I guess, I can live with “1Password 7” and “1Password” during the beta. Thanks Ben! :+1:

• I hear ya. Having a consistent name helps solve some technical challenges with regard to updates though. Glad to hear that'll work for now. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.