Hate the new forced browser extension!

Options

Firefox - I am using 1Password 7.8.8-BETA and it is now forcing me to use the new browser extension - which in my opinion is way to invasive - it's everywhere in the browser now. I do not need multiple places to look and find my passwords. I do not need another web version of 1Password.

I much prefer the simple keystroke of cmd+\ to attempt an auto fill.

I have zero tolerance for popups suggesting a password(s) .

How do I stop all the noise???

1Password Version: 7.8.8
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mtissington!

It sounds like you prefer using the old extension, so in that case I recommend installing that one instead :+1:

Get the 1Password classic extension

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

Your are correct - however 1Password 7.8.8 does not work with the cmd+\ shortcut in a browser window - all that happens is 1Password opens with a nag screen telling me to install the browser extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtissington:

however 1Password 7.8.8 does not work with the cmd+\ shortcut in a browser window -

I have just tested the classic extension and I was able to use the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut with 1Password 7.8.8, so that should work for you too. After installing the classic extension from the link I shared with you, do you still have both 1Password extensions active in Firefox?

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

I removed BOTH 1Password extensions, restarted Firefox and then installed the classic extension.
    When I press cmd+\ 1Passxword prompts me to install browser extension.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hey @mtissington ,

Firstly, things should indeed still work with the classic extension. Please install and enable it in your browser, then restart your computer.
    Open and unlock the desktop app first, then launch Firefox and see if the extension functions properly when you click its icon or when pressing CMD+\ .

In case it still doesn't work, we'll need to see a diagnostics report from your computer. Send it to support+x@1password.com with a short description of the issue and we'll look into it as soon as possible.

Secondly, I strongly suggest you do use the new extension. If you don't like the suggestions menu that shows up automatically - disable it in the extension's settings like so:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. Scroll down to the "Autofill" section and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option.

That will prevent 1Password from showing up on its own inside/under fields. If you need it, you can either click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field or press CMD+\ to autofill. You can also open the extension on the top right corner of the browser if needed.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it's now decided to work this time :) no idea why it didn't before - thanks.

• Glad to hear that did the trick, @mtissington. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.