1password in browser integration with 1pw8 Regression

synacsyn
synacsyn
Community Member

Hi, I noticed that when I am using 1password in the browser integrated with 1pw8, creating a new item opens the cloud vault in a new browser tab rather than the discrete window from the client that it used to. This is a regression when compared to using 1password in the browser with 1pw7.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member

Also, when editing an entry using 1password in the browser it opens the entire 1password8 client rather than just a discrete window (like in 1pw7). I consider this another regression compared to the previous behavior in 1pw7

• Hi @synacsyn, thanks for this feedback! I'd love to understand more about your perspective here, so I can accurately represent it to other team members involved in the development process. Here's a quick follow-up question:

I noticed that when I am using 1password in the browser integrated with 1pw8, creating a new item opens the cloud vault in a new browser tab rather than the discrete window from the client that it used to.

That's true. One reason to do this would be that not everyone will choose to download the desktop app (but if they're running a browser extension, they will necessarily have a browser by extension, so to speak). Is there something about the current behavior that you find to be disadvantageous, vs opening the desktop app?

Thanks again - I'm interested in your take on this!

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member

Quite simply this is a step backwards from the behavior in 1pw7 which allowed editing and creating new passwords within the extension (when the desktop app is installed).

I also don’t agree that the behavior should be the same as if people didn’t download the client. They were able to differentiate this previously where the extension would open your website if the app wasn’t there.

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member

And this behavior is not great as it pulls focus from your current browser tab and requires you to navigate and entirely new tab to create an entry. From a UX perspective this behavior is confusing and behind other competing products.

• Thanks, @synacsyn. We're taking the feedback seriously - and I have passed this on to our developers for discussion. Thanks for taking the time to explicate how the current setup could be improved. We appreciate it!

ref: dev/core/core#8919

This discussion has been closed.