1Password 8 for Windows and firewall credentials

Options

Hi, I'm trying to use 1Password 8 in my corporate PC but it is unable to connect to my account because it does not recognize the firewall system settings.

Connecting via web browser works flawlessly, I can see my vault just fine, the problem affects only to the 1Password client application. Checking the log it is evident the program does not use the firewall credentials:

2021-09-16 06:33:40 28.631s INFO opw_app::api:726 > authenticating with proxy server\n19368 2021-09-16 06:33:41 36.952s ERR opw_network::proxy:64 > network connection test failed: opw-network\src\network_error.rs:61 proxy authentication required\n19368

Best regards,

Juan Andres

1Password Version: 8.2.2-39.BETA
Extension Version: Not installed
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro v.21H1

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi @Juan, sorry to hear of these troubles. Proxy options (which could help overcome the issue you're seeing) didn't make it into the Early Access version of 1Password 8, but it's definitely something we're looking at - we understand that people may have different network setups that require this kind of thing.

With that said, 1Password 8 really isn't ready for business-critical use yet (it is still in Early Access stage, after all) - so I'd recommend using 1Password 7 for now, until 1Password 8 is fully ready to support you in this business environment. 🔑

• Susto
    Susto
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, let's wait and see then.

Just a couple of points... other programs just read the proxy settings directly from Windows, something like "Detect automatically" or some such. That would be the best option, if possible.

The second point is that this is not a business-critical scenario, this is just me in my employer's network trying to use my private vault. I guess there will be more BYOD cases like this.

Best regards,

Juan Andres

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional feedback @Susto :+1:

• Hi @susto,

Just a couple of points... other programs just read the proxy settings directly from Windows, something like "Detect automatically" or some such. That would be the best option, if possible.

Agreed and we are doing that already with basic proxy support, specifically ones that do not require authentication. It should pick up the settings automatically if it is enabled but not the authenticated ones. This is something we're working to improve before the stable release.

Pulling the proxy credentials from Windows Credentials doesn't always work, we sometime get wrong or stale data back from Windows. So we have to ask our users for it and that means the credentials and settings views have to be built for that data. We're working on that and hopefully, it won't be too long before you can use it.

The second point is that this is not a business-critical scenario, this is just me in my employer's network trying to use my private vault. I guess there will be more BYOD cases like this.

We understand, what we meant to say is that 1Password 8 for Windows is in heavy development stage where not everything is implemented yet and it will take some time before it can be used by everyone in any cases as in the app is fully implemented.

This discussion has been closed.