"Set Up Another Device" not working in macOS Chrome extension

Options
melorama
melorama
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm trying to add additional accounts to my 1Password extension in Chrome. So i click on the "Sign in to another account" link at the bottom of the extension settings page, select "Computer", then followed the directions on the "Find your account details to sign in" page.

When I click the "I found my account details" link, it brings the 1Password desktop app into focus, but nothing happens, and I cant enter my account credentials.

The instructions are a bit confusing, because they say to "Select your Sign-in Address, Email Address, and Secret Key account details to copy them." the screengrab seems to imply that you are able to select the entire block of info at the bottom of the "Set Up Another Device" popup window, but at least on the macOS desktop app, each line of info must be selected and copied individually.

Just to humor the stated instructions, I actually did copy each line of data into the clipboard individually, thinking it might be appending the data to the system clipboard, but even when I do this, nothing happens.

What am I missing?

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 11.6
Chrome Version: 93.0.4577.82

Comments

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@melorama I have the exact same issue. You have to temporarily disable the desktop app integration, then add the new device/extension, then re-enable the desktop app integration.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melorama:

When I click the "I found my account details" link, it brings the 1Password desktop app into focus, but nothing happens, and I cant enter my account credentials.

When your 1Password for Mac app opens, are you able to open Preferences > Accounts tab, and enter your credentials there?

Just to humor the stated instructions, I actually did copy each line of data into the clipboard individually, thinking it might be appending the data to the system clipboard, but even when I do this, nothing happens.

The clipboard does not append data if you copy information one after the other: every time you copy something, it replaces the existing clipboard contents. If you want to copy multiple items, you should copy and paste each one before you copy the next.

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue and I had to temporarily disable the "Integrate with 1Password app" toggle to make it work.

@ag_ana I can enter account details in the app, that's not where the issue lies. The problem is that when adding a new account in a browser via the 1Password X extension in Chrome, "I found my account details" is a link to the 1Password app which just focuses the app without doing anything else.

Even worse, if you choose you're logged in on iOS and then click "I found my account details" it still opens the desktop app! That doesn't make sense, if I declare I'm signed in on iOS then that's a different device and opening the desktop app won't do anything.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mgol:

Even worse, if you choose you're logged in on iOS and then click "I found my account details" it still opens the desktop app! That doesn't make sense, if I declare I'm signed in on iOS then that's a different device and opening the desktop app won't do anything.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but are you expecting something else to happen at that step? If you are trying to add your account on a macOS device, and you have found your credentials inside the iOS app, then the 1Password app will open on your Mac so you can add your account on that device. It sounds however like that's not what you want, so what would you be expecting to happen instead?

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

I am not trying to add an account in my macOS app, in the app I already have both my accounts (personal & the work one). I just switched from the classic Chrome extension to the 1Password X one and by default it only signed me to my personal account. I wanted to add my company one there as well which was impossible until I temporarily disabled the "Integrate with 1Password app" toggle in the extensions settings.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mgol:

I am not trying to add an account in my macOS app, in the app I already have both my accounts (personal & the work one).

Understood! It sounds like in this case the extension and the app went out of sync, so it would explain why temporarily disabling the integration allowed you to add your account there. Thank you for sharing this, I am sure other members of the community will find this useful in case they stumble upon the same behavior :+1:

• mgol
    mgol
    Community Member
    Options

Since it seems to be faced by multiple people, can the 1Password team look into it to fix the issue? This shouldn't be happening...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mgol:

I believe the developers are aware of this and are indeed investigating the reports :+1:

This discussion has been closed.