Apple Watch unlock in clamshell mode often fails

Options

I have a MacBookPro which I use mostly in Clamshell mode with an external monitor. Most of the time, 1P doesn't let me unlock with my Watch despite having the option checked. Sometimes, it actually shows the dialog very briefly but it goes away before I can interact. Clicking on the watch icon on the 1P window either does nothing or flashes up the window.

(I don't think this is new for 1P8, and I'm not even sure it's unique to 1P versus other uses of Apple-watch unlock...)

1Password Version: 8.2.2 (80202057)
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 11.6

Comments

• Hi @a.jaffe, thanks for this report. I have filed an issue with our developers to look into this further. We do want to make 1Password flexible and ensure that you can do what you need with your setup! Thanks again for letting us know - we'll check this out. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#10260

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    Options

Just to give some more information: Earlier today, Apple Watch unlock was not working in clamshell model. I then had to use the laptop in normal "open" mode, and thereafter back to clamshell. Ever since then (even through some reboots) Apple Watch unlock has continued to work with 1P8 in clamshell mode.

• PeterG_1P
    edited September 2021
    Options

That's fascinating, @a.jaffe, thank you for this. I've added it to our internal issue so that our developers know what you've seen around this. Thank you for sharing the info! This may well make an important difference.

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

This is still happening, and now there seems to be a somewhat worse symptom: In 1Password For Safari, when I click on the 1PW icon in a text field, it sometimes just flashes up what I think is the Apple Watch login window notification for a very short time (much less than 1 second) before it disappears. But it doesn't interact with the watch itself -- there is no opportunity to do the usual double-click of the side button. If I click the text-field icon enough times, it seems to bring up the actual 1Password application, so I can eventually get things working, but it's definitely a buggy experience.

If it's useful:

1Password for Safari 2.3.0 (but I think I've seen this before this latest version)
    1Password 8.6.0 80600068 beta
    MacOS 12.2.1
    MacBook Pro 15-inch 2019 (intel), running in clamshell mode with external display

• @a.jaffe

I can provide you with one of the troubleshooting steps we provide when emailing in. I can't guarantee it will; help but it may. Please do not skip any steps.

1. Disable whichever unlock method(s) you're using -- Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock -- completely from within 1Password Preferences > Security and in System Preferences

2. Check for any apply any remaining macOS updates -- Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

3. Apply any Apple watch updates.

4. If you have not done so already on any applicable Mac(s), do an SMC reset -- How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

5. Restart your Mac normally.

6. Setup your preferred unlock method(s) again: Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac or Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on your Mac

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Unfortunately, this didn't help.

Is this a known problem and this is the known solution?

Or is this an unusual problem and this is general advice for unlock-related problems?

Note that this is not a new issue -- I first reported it last September but has been going on for a while. Note also that it's intermittent, but I can't tell if it's really "random" or I just haven't been able to track down the cause...

In any event, how can I make sure this is reported as an actual bug?

• tagolus
    tagolus
    Community Member
    Options

Something that might be related to this (if it isn't, I'll start a new thread):

Since a few days, 1password doesn't let me enter my password for about a minute with a spinner next to the password field:

After said minute, the spinner changes to the watch icon:

My 1password version:

1Password for Mac 8.6.0
    80600081, on BETA channel

• Ben
    Options

@a.jaffe @tagolus

The next time you experience this problem, please note the time. Then, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Send Diagnostics

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• tagolus
    tagolus
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Here you go: [#ZJV-41925-953]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @tagolus!

Ben

ref: ZJV-41925-953

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    Options

The problem has occurred again (although in fact I was getting many successful Apple Watch unlock requests, especially with the new SSH ID server functionality).

As per the previous message, I've sent the requested information, and my support ID number is

• #WYT-15822-843
  • sentros
    sentros
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben here's my support ID as well: [#LUY-77219-825]

• Hi @sentros:

Thanks for sharing your support ID. It looks like one of my colleagues is in touch with you there.

Jack

ref: LUY-77219-825

This discussion has been closed.