My opinion about 1Password

kb38
kb38
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello everyone,

I'm a satisfied member of 1Password for over a year now - and there will be no go back because this application is nearly perfect - but there are a few things that annoy me, and maybe other user:

• I don't know when this exactly changed, but after a certain update I couldn't change the password settings like before: e.g. password length is 12, and I could manually set up symbols and digits like I want 5 symbols and 5 digits and the rest (2 character) are letters / upper or lower case. Currently I can check or uncheck a box for symbols and digits and the password generator creates a random password but sometimes with only 1 symbol or 3-4 digits and the rest are only letters in lower/upper case.

• It would be nice if we could configure the app a little bit. Like the pop-up window or preview window (before you log in into a website) is annoying in my opinion and it would be nice feature to hide this in the settings.

• also there might be a failure in suggested password when creating a new account. My password length is set on 24 characters but the suggested password is a random password with a length of 16 character.

It would be a pleasure if you really fix these or at least try to fix it.

Furthermore I hope, I could express myself in an understandable way, since English isn't my native language.

Sincerely yours,

Kaan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.6

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kb38 ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this feedback! Much appreciated :)
    I'll address all of the points you've raised here as best I can.

The first point, regarding the password generator's customizability, is a good one that I'd like to elaborate on that change.
    In order to generate strong passwords (even if they're short), is to make sure it has strong entropy, which is greatly affected by randomness. True randomness can only be achieved if there's no human intervention in the process. The more you manually add/edit the rules of the recipe, the less random it becomes and therefor the weaker the entropy gets.

So if I manually set a 16 characters random password, it is great. It is super strong and long. However, if I then specify that I only want 2 symbols but I also want 9 digits, and the rest will be lowercase letters, I then reduce the entropy significantly because it is a lot less random with such specific rules.

The best way to maintain a high level of entropy is to use "vague" rules such as "Digits: ON/OFF" , "Symbols: ON/OFF" etc... That way, you will generate much stronger passwords than if you did by manually specifying the exact structure of the recipe. The bottom line is the less human intervention there is, the stronger the entropy and randomness of the generated password will be!

In case you require a very specific password structure for a problematic website, you can edit the generated password right there in the generator by clicking on the new password and editing it with your keyboard. This should only be done if you are on a website that has too many requirements and the generator is unable to generate a password that complies. On any other normal website, let the generator do its job and generate strong and random passwords for you without your intervention in the recipe :)

It would be nice if we could configure the app a little bit. Like the pop-up window or preview window (before you log in into a website) is annoying in my opinion and it would be nice feature to hide this in the settings.

You didn't mention which browser you're using and what is the 1Password extension version in your browser, but I believe you should be able to do that by right-clicking the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and selecting "Settings". In the settings page, turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" and that would prevent 1Password from popping up on its own.

also there might be a failure in suggested password when creating a new account. My password length is set on 24 characters but the suggested password is a random password with a length of 16 character.

The automated suggested passwords have a built-in recipe (currently 19 characters long), but you can change that. Get to the generator in the extension, change the password type from "Smart Password" to "Random Password", edit the recipe as you see fit (length, digits/symbols on or off), then make it the default recipe for suggestions.

I hope you'll find this helpful :)

• kb38
    kb38
    Community Member

Thank you for your time!
    Your reply helped me a lot :-)

Sincerely

Kaan

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help :)