[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi,

I am a absolute beginner with this subject and hope you can help me 😊

I have 2 questions about 2FA and the secret key

2FA

I read the following instruction and set up 2FA
1. Click Set Up App. You’ll see a square barcode (QR code). To save a backup of your two-factor authentication code, write down the 16-character secret next to the QR code and store it somewhere safe, like with your passport and Emergency Kit.
2. On your mobile device, open your authenticator app and use it to scan the QR code. After you scan the QR code, you’ll see a six-digit authentication code.

I did not see the 16 digit code during the set up.
Is this code of any importance now? Or can I do without?

Secret Key
I recently regenerated my secret key and eventually stored it somewhere in a digital safe.It took me some effort to get the emergency kit there and needed to regenerate the key a few times before understanding the procedure.

The password is stored in a different place and I have 2FA.
Imagine someone gets hold on the secret key leaking from my device…
Is that a reason to regenerate the code again or …?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @F_9083x:

If you saved a copy of the QR code, you don't need the 16-character secret. Additionally, you only need to use your authenticator app to add your 1Password account to a new device.

Imagine someone gets hold on the secret key leaking from my device…

Your Secret Key should be kept safely and known only to you. If you suspect that your Secret Key has been compromised, you should regenerate a new Secret Key and store the new Emergency Kit in a safe place.

Cheers!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I understand Jack😁
    Imagine I loose my device with 2FA account and have no backup of the QR code or 16 digit code ..is there a way to get it restored by 1password support?
    Or can 1 password support help me out disabling 2FA?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@F_9083x:

Our security team can help you disable your 2FA after some security questions :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

👍great, I will close the other thread that’s duplicate 😔

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.