1Password for Ungoogled Chromium

botootsy
botootsy
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I've 1Password 6 Version installed and would like to use it with Ungoogled Chromium (https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium). How can I install and use the extension?

Cheers,
Michael

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021

Hey @botootsy ,

1Password only works with specific verified browsers, and Ungoogled Chromium is not one of them so the desktop app won't be able to connect to it.
    The only browsers you can use with 1Password 6 are Chrome and Firefox.

If you're keen on using this specific browser, your best option would be to sign up for an account, which would allow you to install the new 1Password extension in that browser which would work independently without the desktop app at all.

The new 1Password extension can be installed on any Chromium based browser and will work in standalone mode. It can also connect to the desktop app, but it will only connect to it if the browser is officially supported and verified by the desktop app.

• botootsy
    botootsy
    Community Member

Hi Yaron,

can you explain what the last paragraph exactly means in my daily life, especially the the term "officially suppoerted"? Say I'm on domain.xy – does the extension then offer me the logins for this domain as I'm used to it?

Cheers,
    Michael

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing.

The new extension works regardless of the desktop app so you can install it on any browser, even if the browser is not an officially supported one by the desktop app. Only the desktop app cares which browsers are officially supported and which aren't.

So let's take the desktop app out of the equation here.
    You can install the new extension in your Ungoogled Chromium browser and it will work as you expect it to work - you can unlock it, autofill on your websites, save new logins, generate passwords etc.

The only downside of not having it integrated to the desktop app is that the extension will need to be unlocked separately every time you open your browser, and you won't be able to use biometrics to unlock it - you will have to use your Master Password to unlock it.

I hope that clarifies things better :)

This discussion has been closed.