Full app opens when i click the browser extension

Options

Is it correct that sometimes when i click the browser extension, that the full windowed app opens, requires me to enter my password there and as soon as it;s unlocked, it closes and sends me back to my browser?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Any comment about this? Is this correct behavior?, as it feels sooooo wrong!

• Hi @rctneil

This is the expected behavior when the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting is enabled in the browser extension (and the "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is enabled in the desktop app). With that feature enabled, the desktop app handles unlocking.

Ben

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I understand now why it's doing that but I will also add that it is extremely annoying. It pulls you out of your current workflow which isn't a good look.

Is there a possibility of this being tweaked if possible to save being pulled away from what ou are doing and then thrown back?

• No definite plans in that regard that I'm aware of, but I'll be happy to put in a feature request for consideration. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#944

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Doesn't it annoy other people? Am I the only person who gets frustrated by this? I find it sooo distracting it's unreal.

Am i using it wrong? Is it not tha big of a deal? Am I wrong? I don't know!

• Ben
    Options

Hey @rctneil

Doesn't it annoy other people? Am I the only person who gets frustrated by this?

Part of the purpose for opening the feature request is to help us gauge that. As additional people express their thoughts on the topic we'll add those voices to the request which will help us better understand if and when this is something we should be spending additional time on.

I find it sooo distracting it's unreal. Am i using it wrong? Is it not tha big of a deal? Am I wrong? I don't know!

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I don't think you're using it wrong, or that you are wrong. I don't want to minimize your experience, but for me, I don't find it to be distracting. That doesn't negate your experience.

As I say we've got the request open now and if or when others write about the subject that will help inform our decision making and prioritization. :+1:

Ben

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben

I just signed in this morning and it did the same, as expected and yes, it still feels wrong this morning.

What would make it feel better for me, would be to authenticate/unlock in the browser window or extension?

The whole being pulled out of your browser feels spammy, like something wrong or bad is happening. It may also look worse to me as I prefer 1Password fullscreen in fullscreen mode. When I get pulled over to the full app, the app appears completely white for a moment whilst it does its starting up stuff, then I sign in, and then it shoves me back and the input boxes on the site take a few moments to catch up and show that 1PW has unlocked.

I hope this gives more ideas as to what I'm seeing and why I may find it more distracting than others who may run in just a small window.

Either way, just trying to document my experiences to help improve my favourite Password Manager (even though they are using Electron for the front end!) ;)

• Thanks for the additional detail, @rctneil. 👍 I can appreciate your perspective on this, and have passed your thoughts on to the development team.

Thanks for taking the time to walk us through what you think we could do better - and for your open-mindedness on the front-end 😎. We'll do our best to make the app nothing short of excellent.

This discussion has been closed.