Chome extension never auto-fills (Safari works). Requires manual copy

Options

My issue (which I think has been present for the longest time) is that 1Password in Chrome never fills out anything. The inline 1P icon never shows up in input fields and opening the Mini-helper from the extension toolbar does not really help all that much, as pressing "Auto-fill" only opens up the assigned website in another tab. This happens no matter if I have set the website as the general domain or an address matching the exact same url as I am on. I need to manually copy username and password.

On the contrary, this works fine in Safari.

This is not some issue with the latest version (or the beta, that I tried today), but has been present for a long time.

I also use Chrome (and 1Password desktop) on Windows, and while I do not have the chance to check right now, I somehow have a feeling that it works better there? Also think it works fine on Linux, but I would need to verify. In either case, macOS does not work at all.

1Password Version: 7.8.7 (70807004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.5

Comments

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

50% of this was now self-solved! I thought I had gone through most of the suggestions on the website (including killing Chrome to restart), but when I browsed the reviews of the extension I found this suggestions by @Nhat_Nguyen as a response to someone with my issues:

However, sometimes an update from 1Password or your browser could leave some pending updates. In that case, you can try these steps and most of the time, it should put things back on track for you.
    Right-click on the 1Password mini icon in the menu bar at the top right corner of your computer > select “Quit 1Password Completely” > > Quit all browsers > Restart your computer > Try 1Password again

This was the trick to get the semi-automatic "Auto-fill" feature working! I had to kill the 1Password app for some reason. This makes it possible to click the 1Password icon in the icon toolbar and then press "Auto-fill".

Still, the extension does not auto-fill the entires on page load and it does not show any icons in the input elements. So this is only half-way solved.

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

what? My comment to this answer was just deleted when I edited it and pressed save.

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

(I spent ten minutes typing that reply so will only paste the most relevant bits again.)

I self-solved half of this issue by browsing reviews at the Chrome Extension Webstore where @Nhat_Nguyen had this tip:

Right-click on the 1Password mini icon in the menu bar at the top right corner of your computer > select “Quit 1Password Completely” > Quit all browsers > Restart your computer > Try 1Password again

This made it possibly to open the mini-helper and press Auto-fill. This time it actually filled and did not open another tab (doing nothing).

Still, there are no icons showing in the input fields and no auto-filling on page-load!

• @fatso83

Your initial message indicates that you're using version 4.7.5.90. This version of 1Password for your browser does not support inline menu filling, so you will not see the blue icon presented in the login fields. If you're looking for the ability to autofill directly from the login fields, we recommend that you use the new version of 1Password for your browser.

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle Thanks for telling me I was looking for a feature that does not exist. That makes it a tad bit easier to end my quest :smile:

I have been using 1Password X for a few years on Linux and other computers, so I know that works well, but I often need the desktop app regardless. For instance to circumvent pasting text into RDP windows by using the "Type into window" feature :smile:

On another Mac I'm using the browser-only version and it fills out inline fields just fine, so that probably got me confused. Especially now that you no longer differentiate in naming between the two extensions in the Chrome Webstore, both called "1Password" (the "for desktop" postfix just confuses TBH). I have both extensions installed in Chrome (since I am syncing extensions between computers) and toggle them on/off depending on whether or not the computer has the native version or not.

Talking of which, you might want to remove all the references to "1Password X" that are littered in the description field on the Chrome Store.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hey @fatso83 ,

The "1Password - Password Manager" extension (formerly known as 1Password X) does work with the native desktop app and connects to it. We've added integration earlier this year and it works just as well as the classic extension. No need to have both installed in your browser.

Also, looking at the description in the Chrome store, I don't see any references to 1Password X aside from the URL itself, which we cannot change without breaking a lot of stuff.

Let me know where you saw these references so we can take care of it :)

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Check out this screenshot. This is from following your link. Maybe this has to do with the language setting or something, if this is updated in your view (my browser is set to Norwegian, and although that description is in English, that might have an impact)?

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. This comment section has a rendering bug/issue. If you are not logged in it is not possible to attach images. The drop-down seems to be hidden behind the input field or some other funkyness.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the screenshot and additional details @fatso83 ,
    Here's what I see in that link:

It might be related to your default language. I've tried changing my browser's language to Norwegian but that didn't reproduce your issue. I then changed the computer's language to Norwegian as well but still no luck. Might be a cache issue? Can you try opening a new user profile in your browser, then go to that page and see if you are still getting the "1Password X" description? If so, change your language to English and see if you can find exact steps to reproduce so I can follow them here.

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

@ag_yaron Maybe you see an unpublished version only available to you? I have changed the language setting as well, and I see this in the US, UK and Norwegian version, all the same.

Here is a minimal, reproducible testcase:

$ pip3 install html2text
    $ alias html2text='python3 -c "import sys,html2text;sys.stdout.write(html2text.html2text(sys.stdin.read()))"'
    $ curl -s 'https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-%E2%80%93-password-mana/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa'  \
      -H 'accept-language: en-US,en;q=0.9'   \
      -H 'cookie: CONSENT=YES+cb.20211003-19-p0.en-US+FX+642; ' \
      | html2text  \
      | grep '1Password X'

Doing that I get these strings:

1Password X requires a 1Password membership. If you don't have one yet, you can sign up when you install 1Password X to get 30 days free.
        1Password is a password manager that keeps you safe online. With 1Password X, you can access everything you need directly in Google Chrome. Fill and save passwords, find and edit items, and more.
        See everything 1Password X can do:
        1Password X is under active development. Get involved. Let us know your feedback: feature requests, bug reports, we want it all: https://1pw.ca/x-help
        1Password X is more than just a password manager. It integrates directly with Chrome to give you access to 1Password where you need it the most: in your web browser. Get the full power of 1Password without installing a desktop app.

Just a plain HTTP request, where I extract the text contents and check for the "1Password X" string. This should be the same on your side of the world :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info @fatso83 ,

Seems like if you change the language flag to accept-language: en;' then it will give the correct response, but 'accept-language: en-US will give the wrong response.

I've forwarded it to the team. Thanks for this :)

This discussion has been closed.