App autofilling suggestion/question

Options
mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng
Community Member

I know that it is generally not possible to autofill an app on the Mac. However, when I have an app open, 1Password Mini tries to suggest something when I click the icon in the menu bar. For instance, I use a Mac app called Chronicle (it's a bill paying app). When I open the app to log in, and I go into 1Password Mini to copy and paste the username and password, 1Password Mini has a drop down menu that reads "suggestions-chronicle". it does not bring up the Chronicle website password that I would like it to. I have tried to add in a tag called "chronicle" into the entry but that didn't seem to do anything in relation to giving me a proper suggestion.

Is there any way possible to get 1Password to recognize apps on a Mac so that the information can be copied and pasted? Ultimately, the ideal goal is to have it autofill but I assume that isn't possible or it would already be a feature.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi @mercuryrsng, I thought the same thing years ago and solved it for myself with the Keyboard Maestro app.

In the following video, an example of this:

The security of the password is always given.
    The macro basically just takes over the steps you would do manually to insert a password and unlock the app... just much much faster 😉

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, I’ll have to look into that. Thanks.

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    Options

@mercuryrsng here is a slightly older tutorial on autofill login with Keyboard Maestro. It is in German, but you can understand how it was created and works.

https://youtu.be/BHaVE9PSE2A

If you use Keyboard Maestro and are interested in the macros, please contact me. I will send them to you

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thanks @appleianer

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mercuryrsng:

1Password Mini has a drop down menu that reads "suggestions-chronicle". it does not bring up the Chronicle website password that I would like it to. I have tried to add in a tag called "chronicle" into the entry but that didn't seem to do anything in relation to giving me a proper suggestion.

Suggestions happen based on the URLs of the item, not based on tags, so you could also try adding the app URL as a second website field inside this Login item. Here is one suggestion on how to do this :+1:

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana ill give that a shot as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @mercuryrsng, let us know how it goes :)

This discussion has been closed.