Missing Mini Window

Options

Is there any functionality that would replace the "mini" pop-over window from 1Password 7? I'm referring to the one that showed up with a CMD+Option+\ by default. It would raise a mini-window smartly selected results based on the active application/website but I could also CMD+O to open the selected item in a more permanent window and CMD+E to edit within that.

I've tried assigning that same hotkey combination to "Show 1Password" in the early access beta but there are obvious differences. The biggest being that this hotkey steals focus and will switch me to a different Space. It doesn't persist the pop-over window when I'm in a full-screen app.

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: 11.6

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JacksonB !

Did you already try the new "Quick Access"? It's the new "1Password Mini" and works great so far. But you have to get used to it because it looks and feels a bit different.

In Windows, you are able to open "Quick Access" with the keyboard shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE.

You will get a popup window in which you are able to search.

Then you could show the details and copy the login or password into the clipboard.

Or you can open an entry in a new window to use the information to log into an app.

I hope this helps?

• JacksonB
    JacksonB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed it my first time through but didn't spend much time with it. I've tried it out a bit more and I think it could be a viable replacement but there are some missing pieces. This is all behaviour I've noticed on the Mac

• If the main 1Password app is already open then Quick Access steals focus from a full screen app
    • I can't seem to be able to edit from an item's mini window (previously CMD+E)
    • I can't seem to use the arrows on the keyboard to navigate up/down through an item's mini window to copy a specific item
    • I can't hold down Option to temporary reveal passwords (this doesn't work in the main window either)
    • The Quick Access isn't pre-populated with any suggestions based on the currently active app or website
    • Switching between spaces/full screen apps causes an item's mini window to get lost (I can't reproduce this reliably, may be linked to opening the main 1Password window on another space)
  • amijeremy
    amijeremy
    Community Member
    Options

I came here to ask this- just to be clear, the Apple Searchlight-eque search bar is completely replacing the former "1Password Mini" dropdown that used to appear when the 1P menu bar button was clicked?

I'm sure it's super useful, but I'll have to completely change my workflow to get used to this. I use the vault selector extensively on the Mini window when quickly searching for things, I also quite like having a literal "mini" version of 1P to work from when I don't need the full app open, I would just open the mini, search for my account and work from the mini panel that pops out with the account highlighted. Now my options are either, little search bar, or full app. Kind of a bummer if that's the case

• Hey, all. Let me address what I can:

• In general, make sure you're on the latest beta (or nightly if you're riding dangerously). Issues are being fixed and improved all the time.
    • Quick Access does indeed steal focus from a full-screen app. It's just a regular window. If you're seeing it switch away from full-screen, I don't see that happening for me. Please make sure you're up-to-date.
    • Editing from an item's mini-window is not currently available. I'll check to see if this is planned or file a new issue, if not. I miss this one myself.
    • Navigating the item's mini-window via keyboard does not appear to be supported…yet. I'll be filing an issue about that one, too.
    • The ability to use Option to reveal a hidden/masked field is not in version 8. However, you can reveal/conceal those fields using ⌘R.
    • Quick Access suggestions have been improved in recent updates and there are more planned.
    • I'm not seeing any problems with the mini-window shifting spaces (other than when I accidentally made it full-screen). Please make sure you're up-to-date (yeah, that again, I know ;) ).
    • Yes, Quick Access is taking the place of 1Password mini. Quick Access search can take advantage of the new search tokens and there are planned improvements that may improve your workflow, as well.

Thank you all for the beta feedback. This is exactly what we need to provide the best experience we can.

• JacksonB
    JacksonB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Craig,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The post is a couple weeks old at this point and indeed, some of the things I was bringing to attention have already been addressed in recent builds. I did find the CMD+R replacement but more on this below.

After using Quick Access more since making the original post, it is much closer to the workflow that Mini allowed and where it isn't, I believe those adjustments I can make myself for the advantage the Quick Access allows for.

The one remaining, big feature (for me), that is missing is the ability to go Quick Access -> Find item -> Navigate item's properties for fields other than username/password/OTP. I've used 1Password to generate and save quite a few Secret Answers for those sites that require regular additional verification and being able to quickly get that into my clipboard is very helpful. This is an outcome of the item preview not being available in the Quick Access when it was a large section of the Mini window.

Last, I have a reliable method to reproduce the screen switching. This is on version 1Password for Mac 8.2.2 80202080, on BETA channel which is up to date as of this writing.

Setup: M1 MacBook Air. 1 space with misc windows, 1 full screen Safari window.

• When 1Password main window is quit (not closed), Quick Access does not steal focus.

• When 1Password main window has been opened but not quit, Quick Access will steal focus unpredictably

1. Go to Space 1 and open 1Password window.
      2. Switch to full screen Safari
      3. Press Quick Access hotkey and focus jumps back to Space 1
      4. Also the 1Password window is missing?
    • I have also found that if I open a new space (Space 2) and open 1Password there, when I go back to my full screen app, the Quick Access steals focus and goes to Space 1 and the main 1Password window is no longer visible on either Space 1 or 2.

• Hi @JacksonB ,

Thanks for describing the scenarios. We have an issue filed to get this fixed up and I've linked your post to the issue so they will see it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

/dev/core/core/-/issues/10706

This discussion has been closed.