Unlock two accounts with one password

Options

Using 1P 7 on MacOS, i'm used to unlocking the app by entering the password for one of my two accounts, and both accounts are unlocked. I have one personal family account and a business account. I'm then able to search across both accounts.

Using the v8 beta, I enter password for one of the accounts and the other remains locked. Under the 'All Accounts' menu, top left, I see a lock against the 2nd account.

Can I have same functionality I get with 7 in 8?

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• Hi @davfox:

1Password 8 now only unlocks the accounts that share account passwords. As each account is protected by both the password and Secret Key, we recommend using one account password for any 1Password accounts you may have: How to use multiple accounts

However if you'd like to continue using separate account passwords, after unlocking each account with the specific password, Touch ID will then unlock both accounts.

Cheers!

• BurningOutside
    BurningOutside
    Community Member
    Options

It would be nice if there was at least an option of auto-unlocking a Family account that's been linked with my Business account. I don't want to use Touch ID (or have the option even available on my Windows workstation), and having to unlock both my Work account and my Personal one separately is a pain. Obviously a newly connected device would not have my personal account linked to it, and also if the master password is reset or account recovered that linked auto-unlock should also stop working to protect personal accounts.

It's especially painful because the plugin doesn't seem to have any way of quickly and easily offering the ability to unlock additional accounts, nor does it have any "Open 1Password App" or "Open 1Password.com" options anywhere that I've seen where I can actually go to unlock my other accounts.

It's a pretty cumbersome process.

• BoernyMcBee
    BoernyMcBee
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Actually I have to say, I like this approach much more. From a security point of view, I always disliked 1Password to open all accounts and vaults at once.
    So biggest error which can happen is my personal misbehavior. So if I leave the desk, missing to lock 1Password, a person sneaking by, could immediately steal all passwords from all open accounts.

This is no longer possible now that you need to re-authenticate by account.

Now it's also possible to move certain vaults to another account and have a second layer of security (expensive though, to pay another subscription just to separate 5-10 items …)

But agreed: at least having the option for people wanting to take the risk, would be a good move.

This discussion has been closed.