Security Key Support for 2fa

Options
SamuelBTL
SamuelBTL
Community Member

In the release notes for the iOS/iPadOS v7.8 release, the following is stated:

Another great feature now available for 1Password members using the latest version of iOS and iPadOS is the ability to use a security key with Lightning, USB-C, or NFC as a second factor when authorizing your 1Password account on a device.

and

• Support for two-factor authentication using Security Keys on all iOS 15 devices, including USB-C iPads.

What changed in iOS 15 (or in this release) in order to enable this functionality for USB-C iPads? I'm specifically asking here because, according to Yubikey support, nothing changed in iOS 15 to enable additional support for their security keys on USB-C iPads.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 15

Comments

• rudy
    edited October 2021
    Options

@SamuelBTL,

iOS 15 adds OS-level support for doing WebAuthn via Bluetooth, NFC, Lightning/USB so on iOS 15+ we no longer use the Yubico SDK to talk to security keys. When running on iOS 12-14 there are various levels of limitation in terms of supported interfaces using the Yubico SDK, for example iOS 12 doesn't support NFC, but iOS 13 and 14 do.

• SamuelBTL
    SamuelBTL
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. This is the exact information I was looking for and helps me make an informed decision regarding Yubico Security Keys based on the devices I own. Thank you @rudy!

• @SamuelBTL

On behalf of Rudy, you're very welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.