Why does this forum reload twice when I go back one page?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited October 2021 in Lounge

Whenever I go back one page (from reading a specific topic back to the list of topics) the forum reloads twice (once because I go back, but shortly after that the browser renders the page a second time, when I was already reading the list).

This is super annoying and it only happens with this forum; I have never experienced this on any other site.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, can AgileBits please fix this?

(on macOS 11.6 & Safari 15, but also on iPadOS 15 & Mobile Safari)

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2021
    Options

@XIII

I think it has something to do with updating the read/unread status, or loading the other add-ons, functions that this forum uses. On iOS/iPadOS, a quick Back swipe will restore the cached page, and then the page seems to get reloaded or refreshed to update the read status of the topics (and scrolls back to the top of the page).

I've found on iPadOS Safari if I use a quick swipe back motion, the double-load occurs. If I do a very slow swiping back motion, it often avoids the double load. If I use the Back button, no double load occurs.

The behavior seems to be inconsistent, and in flux these past two years. A back in macOS Firefox often no longer updates the read status. It always used to.

It's the only forum software I've noticed that routinely has this type of issue.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

As you may know we use a 3rd party service, Vanilla Forums, to provide the 1Password.community forum. I don't see any setting on our end that I would think would cause this. Because we've heavily customized our theme, we are currently stuck on their older theming engine, which may be part of the difficulty. I wish I could say that a redesign and move to the new theme engine were on the horizon but there aren't any definite plans in that regard at the moment. If anyone happens to spot what specifically is the cause I'd be happy to see if it is something we can/should change on our end, or reach out to Vanilla to see if it is something that can be addressed on theirs.

I do apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd prefer to email us for support that is also an option.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.