Features of iOS 1P 4

jb510
jb510
Community Member

After the whole 1Password, 1Password iPad, 1Password Pro fiasco it doesn't surprise me the 1P4 is yet another paid upgrade, it's OK I love 1P and couldn't live without. Actually, I should say I loved the app before it lost features, so before I spend money yet again on 1P4 I'd like to know if THIS version restores the functionality lost in 1P3. Can user/pass be submitted directly to Mobile Safari without copy/pasting and switching apps repeatedly?

It looks like 1P continues to only work with a browser built into the app (which IMHO sucks), but may just be life in an iOS world :(

If that's the case, and I'm hoping it's not, does this 1P browser have tabs? Does it have access to Mobile Safari's bookmarks/bookmarklets? Does it use Mobile Safari's Nitro JS engine?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good questions.

Apple does not allow any iOS apps to integrate with each other, so it is impossible for 1Password to integrate directly with Mobile Safari. Such integration was never removed from 1Password because it has never been possible to do.

For this reason, we've spent a lot of time making the built-in browser better than ever. It is a full-featured browser — a completely separate Web mode. It has tabs and Login, Credit Card, and Identity filling. As far as I know it is not possible to access Mobile Safari's bookmarks. It is definitely not possible for any third-party app to use the Nitro JavaScript engine that Mobile Safari uses. Apple does not permit this.

You may find the "Open in 1Password" bookmarklet to be quite useful. It allows you to open the page you are currently viewing in Mobile Safari (or any other iOS browser for that matter) in 1Password secure browser. This has the added benefit of keeping all login sessions protected within 1Password, so you don't have to worry about remembering to log out in Mobile Safari.

I hope that helps. You may want to read Federico Viticci's excellent review of 1Password 4 of iOS at MacStories for some more details (and from an independent source). There are also many other reviews which may help you make an informed decision.

Of course, if you have any other questions for me, I'd be more than happy to address them as well. :)

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member

Thanks Khad. The integration I remember was the bookmarklet, but I seem to recall it getting deprecated/abandoned... This one: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/logins_bookmarklet.html

I thought it was a round trip thing, but it's been a while I could certainly recall incorrectly.

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, the Login Bookmarklet was actually a feature of 1Password for Mac. It was not really related to 1Password for iOS at all. The way it worked was that it would export an actually copy of the items you chose to an encrypted bookmarklet that you could then sync to your iOS device and use in Mobile Safari (or in Google Chrome on the desktop before the Chrome extension existed). It was deprecated for security reasons over a year ago.

It’s time to say good-bye to a couple of features that won’t stand up to the anticipated threat environment. One feature, loved by many, is the Login Bookmarklet. This was originally designed as a way to get some 1Password functionality into browsers we didn’t support at the time. Before we had 1Password for iOS, this could be used to kinda-sorta get 1Password data into browsers that didn’t support 1Password directly.

The data in the 1Password Bookmarklet is very well encrypted, but the password for it is not secured using PBKDF2. This means that if the Bookmarklet were to be captured it would need a very strong password on it to resist attack. Because the Login Bookmarklet lives in the browser’s bookmarks, there are more opportunities for it to be captured. Given these two issues, it is time to phase the bookmarklet out. Existing bookmarklets, already in the browser, will continue to work if users decide to keep them. But from this point onward, you will not be able to create new ones.

The Login Bookmarklet and Encrypted HTML export features were meant as temporary measures until something better could be put in place. 1PasswordAnywhere, 1Password for non-Mac platforms, and our 1Password extension for Google Chrome are those better ways of doing things.

• tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member

It is definitely not possible for any third-party app to use the Nitro JavaScript engine that Mobile Safari uses. Apple does not permit this.

Although it is not the answer you are looking for, jb510, if you jailbreak you iOS device and then spend a dollar on the proper program (exclusive to jailbreakers) the Nitrous engine will be able to run outside of Safari. Although, the recent iOS 6.1.3 update makes this impossible for the time being.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2013

It probably goes without saying that we can't support such a configuration, but I hope it works well if you decide to do that.

In practice, I don't think most folks even notice the difference. The popularity of Chrome for iOS is at least anecdotal evidence for this, but YMMV. :)

• JonasB
    JonasB
    Community Member

Is it possible to set that all links/URL opened opens up in new tabs? I found it very annoying to use the back button all the time with gmail freeze usw. While still not possible to access Safari bookmarks would it be possible to import them in some way from either Safari or Firefox?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Is it possible to set that all links/URL opened opens up in new tabs?

I'm not sure what you mean, @JonasB. All links that 1Password opens from Vault mode open in a new tab already. Could you give me more specific details about what you are asking for?

While still not possible to access Safari bookmarks would it be possible to import them in some way from either Safari or Firefox?

Not right now, but I'll pass your vote for this along to the developers!

This discussion has been closed.