Tags regression

Options

In 1Password 7, the tags showed how many entries were assigned to that tag in the left pane. Now there is no count showing.

More importantly, I used to be able to select a vault, and then the tags for only that vault would appear under the tag. Now, as soon as I select a tag, it selects entries from all vaults, and this is massively undesirable and makes tags + vaults much less useful.

1Password Version: 80202080, on BETA channel
Extension Version: 2.1.2
OS Version: 12,0

Comments

• jqxfxiva
    jqxfxiva
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Hello @sriggins ! Thanks for sharing your feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password better.

Item counts are on our roadmap and it's something the design and development teams will be looking into.

As for more narrowly scoping your tags, we have something new in 1Password 8 called Collections which could be a great fit for you.

Collections allow you to build custom sets of vaults so that you only see items (and tags) from those vaults. And you can make many Collections, for the many different contexts you might have. You might find that the combination of tags and Collections lets you focus in on just the right sets of items. Give them a try and let us know what you think.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Will take a look, thanks

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

I love 1PW 8 and agree this is a major design regression. I feel bad for Agilebits because I want everything and I want it done right now! Lol I can't wait to see this app in release.

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member
    Options

I am tired of arguing. It’ll be what it will be. If selecting tags is supposed to change what vault I was already focused on as a side effect, so be it. I loved this app but it’s gone in a new, and better (according to the founders) direction. Oh well.

• Hi @sriggins,

This is tricky because we have re-architected the user experience from what it was in 1Password 7 (as you've noticed). We want to make finding items easy for even a new 1Password user, while providing power users like yourself the tools to organize their items in a way that makes sense to them.

This is where Collections come in. Let's say I had monthly bills to pay for my home and my business. Let's further assume that those bills required logins from my Home Finances vault and my Work Finances vaults, but no others (even if those two vaults were from two different 1Password memberships). I can create a Finances Collection that contains just those two vaults and suddenly I can see all the items, tags, and categories across all my Finances vaults. This was something that just wasn't possible in any 1Password product until now and we think power users like you are going to get a lot out of the added flexibility.

Please do give it a try and let me know what you think. We love our longtime and experienced users because they're the one who use and love 1Password as much as we do 💜

• @mia Believe me, we want it all now too. Thanks for the love and the patience 💜

• kmkoni
    kmkoni
    Community Member
    Options

I also noticed that I can no longer delete a tag to remove it from all of the vault items. It seems I have to go into each item and remove the tag in order to entirely remove it.

• @kmkoni Thanks for the feedback! I get that added to our list of feature requests. Can you help me understand a scenario in which you'd want to remove a tag completely? It will help with the Why section of the issue report 😀.

Keep in mind that this would remove this tag from all the items in the currently selected Account or Collection.

• kmkoni
    kmkoni
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew If I'm working on a particular project, for example, I may want to tag each login I'm using with a tag so I can easily filter down to just what I need for that project. Or, at one point I was flirting with the idea of adding a tag for which payment method I was using for each site's subscription. When I don't need that project anymore, or I change my mind on how to organize things, it was very easy to be able to just right click the tag and delete it.
    It would also be nice to be able to select a group of items, and add a tag to all those items at once. I can't remember if this was in 1P7 or not, since I've been 100% 1P8.

• Thanks @kmkoni, I appreciate the help in defining the problem.

I have good news for you on the tag-assignment front. If you select several items in 1Password 8 and drag them on top of a tag, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that they all get assigned that tag. Give it a try and let me know how that works for you.

• kmkoni
    kmkoni
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_andrew that's great! thanks for the tip!

• @kmkoni 😀 Glad you like it. Let me know if you find anything else you love or would like to see improved in 1Password 8. 💜

• ausernie
    ausernie
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_andrew, the drag & drop functionality to populate tags is very useful however, it doesn't work if you try to use it with the results of a search.

I searched for all items that had "great" in their title and was presented with a list of entries. When I attempted to drag & drop I was unable to do so. It wouldn't let me "drop" the entries on the tag.

If I manually scrolled through my list of items to two of the entries that were adjacent to each other, I was able to select both and the drag & drop functionality worked as you described.

Not the end of the world if it's not possible/can't be scheduled but it would be nice if I was able to use this functionality on the results of a search please.

• Ben
    Options

Good catch, @ausernie. I was able to reproduce that behavior. I've opened an issue to let the team know about that limitation. Hopefully it is something we can improve. :) Thanks for the callout!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9609

This discussion has been closed.