1Password 8 doesn't start with Touch ID

Options

When I launch 1Password on a Touch ID-enabled Mac, the default isn't Touch ID so I need to click the fingerprint icon to use Touch ID. With 7 it allowed me to do Touch ID or the password upon launch. Can we have that back?

I may not be describing it well, hopefully you know what I mean.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.3.0
Extension Version: 2.1.2
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• @nosillacast, if I understand correctly, when you open 1Password, you expect to be immediately prompted for Touch ID, but are not. Would you mind answering a few follow-up questions?

• If you click Touch ID, are you able to use Touch ID successfully?
    • Are you prompted when opening the app when it's completely closed?
    • Are you prompted when the app is locked and minimized and you open it?

The expectation is that 1Password will prompt for Touch ID when locked and brought to the foreground. If the app is already open and in the foreground, it will not prompt when focused.

Thanks for the additional details!

• tderman
    tderman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue described above:
    Details: Platform: MacOs: 12.0 Beta (21A5543b) / Chrome
    When chrome extension prompts and starts 1Password 8 it does not automatically asks for touch ID like Version 7 did.
    As answers to your questions:
    If you click Touch ID, are you able to use Touch ID successfully? Yes
    Are you prompted when opening the app when it's completely closed? Yes (The password for 1Password is asked and we have to click touch ID to be able to use it where Version 7 Touch ID was automatic)
    Are you prompted when the app is locked and minimized and you open it? Same as above
    The expectation is that 1Password will prompt for Touch ID when locked and brought to the foreground. If the app is already open and in the foreground, it will not prompt when focused. YES but rather than the touch ID the password comes and you have to click the finger print to enable the touch ID.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member
    Options

@K.J._1P

• Yes if I click Touch ID I am able to use it successfully
    • Just tried to test when it's completely closed, and now I've hit a bug. The app is open and showing in the menu bar but everything is greyed out and I can't quit, so I'm going to force-quit
    • After force-quit it took me two tries to get it to launch, and then it DID offer me Touch ID and unlocked 🤦🏼‍♀️
    • It prompts for Touch ID when inactive for >10 min, so that's good

I'm not sure which scenario it is that doesn't prompt me now, which I realize is not very helpful. When it happens again I'll report back.

• tderman
    tderman
    Community Member
    Options

After an update on Chrome today the problem is solved: Version 94.0.4606.81 (Official Build) (x86_64)

• @tderman Thanks for the additional info. If the Chrome update was pending, that is expected behavior. When Chrome updates in the background, it invalidates the browser signature and 1Password cannot establish a secure connection. Once the browser is restarted--and the update complete--the connection is reestablished.

@nosillacast Oh, no! Did you happen to notice if an update was pending? If you open a support ticket, you can securely provide logs and we may be able to help further.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry I don't remember, but I'm on the nightly build so probably? I'm sorry I took so long to write back, probably too late for logs.

This discussion has been closed.