Firefox extension

prime
prime
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

My wife got a new work computer and we can’t find the 1Password extension. We only see 1Password browser (formally 1Password X). She has 1Password downloaded from you site, and when we go to install the extension, it takes us to the extension that was 1Password X.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @prime!

Do you mean that you would like to install the old classic extension instead?

Get the 1Password classic extension

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Yes, so now we can’t have both installed at the same time?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@prime:

You certainly can, but we recommend keeping one to avoid exactly this type of confusion. Our recommendation is to use the latest version, but if you prefer the old classic extension, that is how you can install it :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ag_ana there isn’t a confusion. When I did a separate search for the classic extension on my Mac and my wife’s windows computer in Firefox, it can’t be found. So it seems I have to go though hoops to get them to work. I have both on my Mac, and no issues when I 1st set it up. I found both versions in Firefox back then, so I don’t know what changed since then.

Sadly, they both are needed. Some sites will auto fill with one version and not the other. Neither version will work on everything.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I can’t edit a post?
    Anyways, I’ve been doing it this way since 1Password X came out and no issues. I’m not sure why you guys changed the name to 1Password X also, it’s too confusing now talking about the extensions. To call the other one the “classic” now makes no sense. When something is a classic, it’s old and not made anymore. A ‘79 Pontiac Trans Am is a classic…

• @prime

You're right, when we rebranded the naming of the extensions it was to ensure users understand that 1Password for your browser (formerly known as 1Password X) is the way forward as far as the browsing experience is concerned. While the classic extension is still supported, it's no longer receiving any development updates.

As Ana suggested, I would recommend keeping the new one and letting us know if you come across sites where it doesn't work as expected. Ideally, this version should handle autofilling on all the sites you visit. If not, then we'll want to investigate and make sure it gets on our development team's radar to fix.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle how can the extension not receive updates when 1Password 8 is coming out?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @prime ,

The classic extension is now called classic because it is indeed "old" and has not been updated in a long while. It will continue to work with 1Password 7 but will not work with 1Password 8.

1Password in the browser (formerly known as 1Password X) is still receiving constant updates and will work with 1Password 8.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So, how will people they use 1Password 8 have their passwords and other info auto filled?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@prime:

With the 1Password in the browser extension (formerly known as 1Password X).

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ag_ana will the extension unlock when the app unlock, or will I have to unlock them separately?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@prime:

It will unlock with the app if you have the integration turned on:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@ag_ana ok good to hear. I find it more difficult to make changes at times on the 1Password X version, but much easier on the regular app. I also just got my mom comfortable on this after years and years of having 1Password. I was worried you guys would only have the 1Password X version and no app for the computers. I’m not about to relearn my mom on something new.

The sites that don’t work with the former 1Password X are work sites that you won’t be able to access. The “classic” extension does. I’m not sure what the differences are, but that’s why I keep the classic extension too. My wife has the same issue, but I’m not sure which ones.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@prime:

I was worried you guys would only have the 1Password X version and no app for the computers.

No worries, the desktop and mobile apps are still there ;)

The sites that don’t work with the former 1Password X are work sites that you won’t be able to access. The “classic” extension does. I’m not sure what the differences are, but that’s why I keep the classic extension too. My wife has the same issue, but I’m not sure which ones.

If you would like, we can try looking at the page details:

1. Get to the page where 1Password shows up in places you don't want it to.
    2. Right-click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Help" -> "Collect Page Structure".
    3. A file will be downloaded in your browser. That is the file you can email us along side a description and a screenshot of the webpage showing the issue with 1Password.

You can email all the information to support+x@1password.com.

Our developers can then take a look and see if they can make the new 1Password extension also work on these websites :+1:

This discussion has been closed.