Not able to select 1Password Menu item on macOS

Options

Problem Description:
If 1Password 8 is left running for some time, it eventually becomes impossible to select the 1Password menu item in the menu bar.

Notes: I am running the latest macOS Monterey beta, but I've also seen this with earlier Monterey and 1Password 8 beta combos. All that said, it's not clear that Monterey is a dependent variable. This may effect earlier macOSes.

Since I can't attach a movie, you'll have to take my word that in the screen cap, I am clicking on the menu item without it responding to the click on hover.

Steps to Reproduce:
1) On a Mac, fire up 1Password 8.
2) Let it run a while. Probably a good idea to throw in some screen timeouts too.

Result:
At some point, it becomes impossible to select the 1Password menu item. This is sometimes mitigated by foregrounding Safari or the Finder. Other times, you must quit 1Password and relaunch to be able to access the 1Password menu item.

Expected Results:
Windowing like it's 2021, not 1992. :-) e.g. The menu item always is selectable.

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12 beta 9

Comments

• Hi @mikesilva, thanks for reporting this. What a strange bug. I've filed it in our bug tracker and we'll look into it.

You mention that you've seen it on other versions of Monterey, out of curiosity did you notice this while still using Big Sur also?

Another question: when this happens, are you able to click on other menus like "File" and then use the left arrow key to open the 1Password menu?

We'll be looking into this, and I'll keep you updated if we find a solution.

Cheers,
    Gabriele

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

I can't speak to whether it's an issue on Big Sur, as my use of 1Password 8 was long after I got on the Monterey beta train, and given the proximity to Monterey release, I'm not really inclined to try to reinstantiate a Big Sur volume and check. (Not to be a jerk.)

Yes, when this happens, it is specific to 1Password. Other applications don't exhibit this behavior contemporaneously.

That said, I know everyone's favorite past time these days is blaming all things on Electron, but I think I may have seen this behavior with other Electron apps that I use far far less and thus aren't typically idling in the background. But given I use them so much less, the frequency is approaching zero for those.

• Thanks for the extra info! Some of us on the team are already running Monterey so we'll check if we can reproduce this bug on our end. I haven't seen this pop up on the Electron issues board so it's really hard to say whether it's an OS bug or Electron's fault right now. We'll keep you posted!

This discussion has been closed.