How can I assign a specific username/password to an iPadOS app?

jwp4rk3r
jwp4rk3r
Community Member

I have the password entry in 1PW and the app installed on my iPad. However, the two are not tied together so I always have to search for the pw entry. How can I force the connection to come up every time without searching?

1Password Version: 7.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IPadOS 15
Referrer: forum-search:Assign password to app

Comments

• Hi @jwp4rk3r,

For the appropriate item to be suggested, the app in question must define an Associated Domain as part of their metadata that is submitted to Apple. This Associated Domain would have to match the URL in the website field on your item for them. For example, the Facebook app has an Associated Domain of facebook.com such that any Login items you have with that URL listed as a website will be matched. If the app doesn't specify an Associated Domain at all, then it isn't possible for AutoFill to suggest a match, and will instead show all possible results. If this app is missing an Associated Domain, then it would need to be added by the app developer in order to be more compatible with AutoFill.

If an app has an Associated Domain, it will be visible like this, in this case reddit.com:
    If an app does not have an Associated Domain, there will not be a URL visible in the Create Login button:

If the app you're referring to does show a URL like in the first example, adding that URL to the Login item in 1Password will show this entry in the app. If this app doesn't have an Associated Domain, then it isn't possible for AutoFill to suggest a match. If this app is missing an Associated Domain, then it would need to be added by the app developer in order to be more compatible with AutoFill. If you'd like to learn more about Associated Domains, or to reach out to the app developer with a request for them to implement it, here's Apple's developer documentation on it: Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

Jack

• jwp4rk3r
    jwp4rk3r
    Community Member

Thank you for the quick and thorough answer. I believe that’s missing from tha app but is just fine on the web. Thanks!

• You are very welcome @jwp4rk3r! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.