1Password as we knew it is dead.

Options
colacin
colacin
Community Member

As an ancient user of this software and then this service, it's now completely clear that I am no longer the desired user in any shape or form. (or maybe now I'm just accepting it)

I've been reading through so many threads where others like me are just told:

"you're doing it wrong"

"this is not how it works now"

And then the clearest example is about the new MacOS app UI... I mean, I can only have my intelligence insulted so many times before I have to just accept the fact that this non-native UI is being forced on us and you simply don't care what we think.

I get the folksy marketing emails with links to the blog, so I read a few and browse a bit, then I do get a bit sad because this whole journey is coming to an end. The company and "service" (the 'app' is no longer the product) are going (gone?) full enterprise - and the days of the individual, tech-savvy, Mac user being the focus of attention are truly over.

All that said, I don't know that there is a good exit plan / product to switch to yet, so if I stay on it's clear I have to adjust my usage to what I've been given, rather than having a really nice app that seemed to be designed for me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Netsec
    Netsec
    Community Member
    Options

I hear Bitwarden in a pretty good alternative but can't vouch for it firsthand. They are open source, have the send secure feature, a watchtower-like item, AND they let you manage your vault on your server to share across your devices, that last item being VERY important to me from a security standpoint. Was very dismayed when 1Password decided to go the LastPass route and only do subscriptions and let the standalone app die. Understand it from a business perspective, but disappointing nonetheless.

Unfortunately (in your case based on your writeup), Bitwarden is only a Safari plugin, and with Apple f'ing up Safari, that doesn't bode well. (The "Most Critical" comments in the Apple App Store sound "typical" but could be worth worrying about.)

I'll hang in there with 1P, but definitely hear you! Hope they do too...

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    Options

they wont ….

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

I'm exploring KeePassXC on the Mac with Strongbox on iOS as the iOS way of accessing the KeePass vault.

StrongBox has share sheets and offline vaults which are the two major features 1Password Lost.

Also @claus you stole my profile icon haha.

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    Options

@brank: Oh, I am sorry - did not know it. I thought it was a profile icon offered by the forum/avatar. Really, I like the icon, suits very well.
    I did not like to uswe a ":-)" - As I do not feel happy here. Is it ok to use it, @brank ?
    And sometimes a picture "says" more than 1.000 words ...

• brank
    brank
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it's okay for you to use it. We feel the same way. Share my emotion, share my icon, my friend.

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

I just found website an article on a German Mac about the new feature of sharing items.
    Almost all comments criticise the changes coming with the new v8. And no comment about the new feature.
    Several users will stuck with v7 as long as possible.
    But AgileBits still tells us how great v8 is/will be and so many users love and want it. How ignorant! They should tell us the truth or going stop developing v8.
    Also interesting that negativ comments or critics do not pop up at the top of this forum. They are listet somewhere on page 2, soon 3 ...
    AgileBits does not care about critics. They stuck with their "great" v8 and still whitewash it.

This discussion has been closed.