Export to 1pif format?

Options
markbyrn
markbyrn
Community Member

How does one actually export into a format (e.g. 1pif) that can be by another password manager import purposes? Unless I'm missing something, the beta only allow one to export in some new .1pux format. Is there a method to covert the .1pux to .1pif? I did notice I could use the archive utility to 'unzip' the .1pux and it shows an export.data file that doesn't appear to be in .1pif or any other format that might be be used for import purposes in another password manager.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.6

Comments

• Hi @markbyrn ,

Currently 1pux is the recommended way to export all data. We will have other formats coming in the future. Note that 1pif was designed a long time ago and doesn’t support newer features such as documents, and the newer custom icon format, vault and account icons, etc.. 1pux was designed with newer features mind.

We expect to publish specifications for 1pux in the future. Note that 1pux is an unencrypted format and thus easy to read, so we expect other password managers and other developers will support this format soon.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• markbyrn
    markbyrn
    Community Member
    Options

A new format is fine but the .1pif option shouldn't go away until the new format is long established. More problematic is the beta doesn't even provide for generic options such as .csv or .txt. Overall I'm not impressed with 1 Password 8 and it feels like a downgrade with a clunky UI and no discernible feature improvement over 1 Password 7.

• Hi @markbyrn ,

Thanks, I'll send that feedback along to the development team. If you require 1pif immediately, the best recommendation is to export it from 1Password 7.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Is the 1PUX file encrypted so it can serve as a backup copy locally? Can it be reimported into v8? It isn't that I don't trust the company…but no matter how many times employees and management say that their cloud is the greatest advancement in computer security since forever…it simply isn't a valid statement from a security point of view. The ability for an individual user to make their own backup of their data locally and then restore that into the 1PW cloud environment on their own is something any knowledgeable user will demand. Doesn't mean that we don't trust the company…but the 3-2-1 theory of backups has been amply demonstrated over and over. to be a good idea and the "We're 1PW the company, trust us for your only backup method." attitude is simply ludicrous.

• Hi @neil_laubenthal:

As Kevin mentioned above, the .1pux file is unencrypted and as such, should be handled very carefully to avoid potentially leaking any data. Importing has not been implemented (yet). This is something we intend to have completed prior to the stable release of 1Password 8. We will be offering .1pex exporting/importing as well, which will be an encrypted format. Thanks!

Jack

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack…saw that after I posted…hopefully they will get done before v8 is released because that's a go/no go point for me for v8. I don't like some of the other changes in v8 but I can live with the other issues I think. The lack of backup/restore local capabilities has nothing to do with trusting 1PW the company or not…it's an old sysadmin thing that if you don't have multiple separate backups completely under your control in addition to whatever cloud or internet backups exist then you don't have backups.

• Hey @neil_laubenthal:

Thanks for that input. At this time, the primary goal of the .1pux export is to be able to take one's data from 1Password to another product, and not explicitly as a backup. With 1Password 8 for Windows currently in a release candidate, I wouldn't expect to see significant changes before the first stable release, but as we always do, we plan to iterate quickly and frequently after launch. Thanks again!

Jack

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Now that v8 is moving forward…I’m going to try it again. Is there any reason not to have both v7 with my local and 1Password.com vaultsinstalled as well as v8 with the 1Password.com vaults only as long as only one version is launched and active at any time? I don’t want to shift from v7 yet but want to be able to do more testing with v8.

• Hey @neil_laubenthal:

While I'm glad to hear you're excited and interested about 1Password 8 for Windows, it simply isn't possible to have both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 installed at the same time on Windows.

Jack

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member
    Options

I'm actually on macOS…guess I didn't make that clear. Any reason not to do so on macOS? Obviously I'll only run one of them at a time but beyond that is there any issue or do I just need to test while logged in as a different user?

• Hey @neil_laubenthal:

Sorry for the mix-up there! :smile:

1Password 7 and 1Password 8 aren't intended to run alongside each other. because they have the same core functions and connections (to the browser for example), this can cause collisions and potential confusion for you. If you'd like to try out 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access, this post would have the specifics on what you would need to do to avoid any confusion under the "Bits and bobs" section: https://1password.community/discussion/122136/1password-8-for-mac-early-access-🥰

Jack

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Jack…I had read that already and at this point I'm completely uninterested in uninstalling v7 and using the beta v8. Can I assume that (a) logging in as a different user in macOS and running the installer will put the installer (on macOS Monterey) in /Users/different_user/Applications or does it only install the app in /Applications and (b) will theinstaller will also uninstall v8 from that user? Frankly…I am only really interested in trying it to see how the Electron app looks and to examine the features but disrupting a perfectly working local vault copy of v7 isn't going to happen.

So…will the separate user install work or is that also 'not recommended' by 1PW?

I'm not going to run both at the same time anyway…I would be completely quitting v7 before testing v8 and then completely quitting v8 before going back to my in use v7. All I'm trying to do is evaluate…not switch to the beta and switch back if I don't like the beta…and frankly I'm still up in the air about whether I'll continue with 1PW or shift to another product…it depends on what capabilities make it into the release version of v8 and whether I can try it without uninstalling v7 completely. Ben's article that you referenced seems to indicate that v8 can be installed and used just fine as long and then deleting v7 when v8 is up and running by completely quitting both v7 and Safari.

I understand and completely agree that both should not be active at the same time…but using one at a time after completely quitting the other seems like it should work to me…and I'm actually quite fine with not using v8 in Safari while I'm testing and evaluating v8 if that's what is needed since there's an installer for v8 and not just a drag and drop application like v7 is.

• Hey @neil_laubenthal:

If you'd like to just poke around 1Password 8 Early Access, quitting 1Password 7 completely and running 1Password 8 should work fine for you. Additionally, there's still other features we're planning on adding or improving to 1Password 8 for Mac, so stay in touch to see the changes prior to launch!

Jack

• neil_laubenthal
    neil_laubenthal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack…I'll download the beta of v8 and give it a whirl. Did that a couple months back and wasn't really impressed but it was an early beta so it is likely better now.

• Ben
    Options

Indeed; we've made hundreds of improvements in the past months. Thanks for your interest, and willingness to give it a try. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.